Welcome to Sarah’s Cucina Bella! This was my very first post on SCB, published on November 9, 2005. I would love it if you would check out some more recent posts too like Cinnamon Swirl Banana Bread, Roasted Vegetable Papperdelle with Creamy Pesto Sauce or Spicy Habanero Hot Wings. Thanks!!
During my unfortunate foray into dieting the Atkins way, I was frustrated by the amount of meat the diet forced me to consume. It was like one of those bad nightmares where you open your mouth and keep trying to scream but can’t. Somehow I managed to stick with it for about six weeks. Thinking back, I don’t even know why I was so committed to it.
Anyway, I missed my breads, sweats and especially fruits and vegetables. As a result, Atkins never became a lifestyle for me. But not all that came from my experience was negative. In fact, some of it was down right fantastic.
For instance, I created some really fantastic new meals like my Reuben-inspired corned beef skillet. It’s a great comfort food that I modified just a bit to make it even tastier. Here’s the recipe:
- 3-4 slices corned beef deli meat
- maple syrup
- ½ cup sauerkraut
- 2 slices deli Swiss cheese
- Layer corned beef luncheon meat on the bottom of a greased 6” skillet (I like to use just a dash of olive oil to grease it). Cover and cook at medium heat for 1 minute.
- Drizzle maple syrup over corned beef. Cover and cook for 1 minute.
- Cover corned beef with sauerkraut (Silverfloss is my favorite brand, it has a great authentic German taste). Top with two slices of deli cut Swiss cheese. Cover and cook for 1 minute.
- Slide onto a plate and devour.