I had company over Saturday night and wanted to make a really yummy dessert. Because I had loaded up on chocolate at Trader Joe’s, it had to include that too. And since I just got a great cookbook, Home Cooking Baking & Dessert published by Parragon Publishing, I wanted it to come from there. Of course, I am unable EVER to completely follow a dessert, so this is my take on the recipe.
I cannot find this book online at all at any bookseller, here or abroad. I got it at Border’s this week so go figure. It was on the bargain racks. Totally worth picking up, if you can find a copy though.
Chocolate Roulade with White Chocolate Drizzle
- 6 oz semi-sweet chocolate
- 2 tbsp water
- 6 eggs
- 3/4 cup confectioners’ sugar
- 1/4 cup unbleached all-purpose flour
- 1 tbsp unsweetened cocoa
- 1 1/4 cup heavy cream
- 2 tbsp confectioners’ sugar
- 10 large strawberries, sliced and hulled
- confectioners’ sugar, for dusting
- 4 large strawberries
- 1-2 oz white chocolate
- 2 tbsp water
- Line a jelly roll pan with parchment. Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
- On a stove over medium heat, combine the chocolate and the water and stir until melted. Remove from heat and let cool while performing the next step.
- Combine eggs and sugar in a bowl and beat with a wire whisk until mixture is pale and foamy, about 10 minutes. Beat in chocolate a little at a time until well combined. Sift the flour and cocoa together and fold into mixture.
- Pour chocolate mixture into the lined jelly roll pan and smooth out. Slide into oven and cook for 12 minutes.
- Remove from oven and turn cake onto a fresh sheet of parchment sprinkled with confectioners’ sugar. Peel away the old parchment and then roll the roulade up with the fresh parchment. Place the roll on a wire rack and let cool.
- In a mixing bowl, use an electric mixer to combine the cream and confectioners’ sugar. Mix until mix holds shape (like whipped cream).
- Unroll the cooled roulade and scatter the sliced strawberries all over. Cover evenly with cream mixture and roll back up (without the parchment).
- In a sauce pan, combine the white chocolate and water and stir until chocolate is melted. Remove from heat. Place the rolled roulade on a serving platter and sift confectioners’ sugar over. Place the strawberries in a line down the top center and drizzle with white chocolate.
© Sarah W. Caron and Sarah's Cucina Bella, 2005-2012.
Category: Dessert, Recipes