I had company over Saturday night and wanted to make a really yummy dessert. Because I had loaded up on chocolate at Trader Joe’s, it had to include that too. And since I just got a great cookbook, Home Cooking Baking & Dessert published by Parragon Publishing, I wanted it to come from there. Of course, I am unable EVER to completely follow a dessert, so this is my take on the recipe.
I cannot find this book online at all at any bookseller, here or abroad. I got it at Border’s this week so go figure. It was on the bargain racks. Totally worth picking up, if you can find a copy though.
Chocolate Roulade with White Chocolate Drizzle
- 6 oz semi-sweet chocolate
- 2 tbsp water
- 6 eggs
- 3/4 cup confectioners’ sugar
- 1/4 cup unbleached all-purpose flour
- 1 tbsp unsweetened cocoa
- 1 1/4 cup heavy cream
- 2 tbsp confectioners’ sugar
- 10 large strawberries, sliced and hulled
- confectioners’ sugar, for dusting
- 4 large strawberries
- 1-2 oz white chocolate
- 2 tbsp water
- Line a jelly roll pan with parchment. Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
- On a stove over medium heat, combine the chocolate and the water and stir until melted. Remove from heat and let cool while performing the next step.
- Combine eggs and sugar in a bowl and beat with a wire whisk until mixture is pale and foamy, about 10 minutes. Beat in chocolate a little at a time until well combined. Sift the flour and cocoa together and fold into mixture.
- Pour chocolate mixture into the lined jelly roll pan and smooth out. Slide into oven and cook for 12 minutes.
- Remove from oven and turn cake onto a fresh sheet of parchment sprinkled with confectioners’ sugar. Peel away the old parchment and then roll the roulade up with the fresh parchment. Place the roll on a wire rack and let cool.
- In a mixing bowl, use an electric mixer to combine the cream and confectioners’ sugar. Mix until mix holds shape (like whipped cream).
- Unroll the cooled roulade and scatter the sliced strawberries all over. Cover evenly with cream mixture and roll back up (without the parchment).
- In a sauce pan, combine the white chocolate and water and stir until chocolate is melted. Remove from heat. Place the rolled roulade on a serving platter and sift confectioners’ sugar over. Place the strawberries in a line down the top center and drizzle with white chocolate.
© Sarah W. Caron and Sarah's Cucina Bella, 2005-2012.
Category: Dessert, Recipes
Sarah W. Caron is a freelance writer, editor and recipe developer. Her work has appeared in countless online and print publications including iVillage, BELLA NYC Magazine, Yum for Kids magazine and more. She lives in Connecticut with her two kids, two beagles and husband.