On April 6, 2006, I wrote a post titled “I dream of” that listed several items I wanted to successfully make. Over the past year, I have made some of the items, rejected making others and pondered the difficulties of still others. I thought it might be time to revisit the list, see what I have done and revise.
So check it out, this is the original list (the ones in bold have been accomplished) with my notes:
- - Chocolate croissants – I have thought about making this several times and even gathered the ingredients. I did make some with puff pastry that were good. But from scratch is still very daunting.
- - Napoleons – Mmm. Need to sit down and do this.
- - Black and whites – See above.
- - A delicious and super creamy strawberry milkshake – Tried and failed, so far.
- - Tortillas (soft) – Check out my method for this here.
- - Red clam sauce - The recipe for this isn’t on the website yet, but geez who knew a weird throw together concoction could be the best red clam sauce I have ever had? It was.
- - Brown basmati rice that is cooked all the way through (it’s a big problem for me with this type of rice) – I don’t even like brown rice.
- - Palek Paneer – This one is really ambitious, since I will have to make the cheese too. And I don’t think I am ready for that.
- - Garlic knots (NY pizzeria style) -I tried this, but haven’t perfected it yet.
- - Flan – Not sure why this was on here. I am not really a big flan fan.
Now, to revise the list, I am pulling out the ones that have been accomplished as well as the ones I changed my mind about (brown rice, palek paneer, flan) and adding some new ones to the mix. Hopefully this year I will have a better success rate.
Here it goes:
- - anything from Julia Child’s French Chef Cookbook
- - sandwich bread
- - Chocolate croissants
- - Napoleons
- - Black and whites
- - A delicious and super creamy strawberry milkshake
- - strawberry jam/preserves
- - canning
- - a good, light and fluffy homemade pancake
- - Garlic knots (NY pizzeria style)
- - panna cotta