I Said I Was Going To . . .

| May 22, 2007 | 12 Comments

. . . and now I have. (You can read about my decision here.)

Goodbye melamine!

Hello Corelle!

Category: Mama's baby

Sarah W. Caron is a freelance writer, editor and recipe developer. Her work has appeared in countless online and print publications including iVillage, BELLA NYC Magazine, Yum for Kids magazine and more. She lives in Connecticut with her two kids, two beagles and husband.

Sites That Link to this Post

1. Are Melamine Plates Safe? | Sarah’s Cucina Bella :: Family Food | September 9, 2010
  1. Kalyn says:

Good move, and Wil is looking especially cute in that photo! He must be happy with the new dishes, or maybe it’s the strawberries!

2. Cate says:

What was the final straw in the decision?

Thanks Kalyn! He does love his berries (and his new “big boy” plates).

Cate, you know, I was unsettled when I read more about melamine and struggled with the decision. But the tipping point was actually when Costco recalled their Kirkland Brand Dog Food. See, Scrappy, who has a more sensitive stomach of the two dogs, had been vomiting semi-regularly for a while. And we thought it was the kibble, but at the same time we switched his kibble, we stopped giving them wet food for awhile (my husband was working late and the food makes me gag).

Eventually, I gave Scrappy the old kibble again and he was fine. But we just weren’t giving them the canned food. And then I got the notice about the recall in the mail and it really made me wonder if that was the cause of Scrappy’s vomiting, since he’d been eating that food at the same time. Fortunately, aside from an upset stomach, he’s fine. But that made me question it enough to decide it really was time to switch plates.

4. Sarah says:

That’s so weird! I had never heard of melamine before yesterday, and I borrowed a bowl to marinate some lamb in, and looked on the bottom of it, and it said “melamineware,” so I looked it up on the internet.

What a weird, tiny coincidence :)

5. Tonia says:

And I just got 4 Martha Stewart melamine plates at K-Mart on Sunday to use when we eat outside. My mom swears by Corelle, so I guess I’ll have to give it a try too.

6. Patti says:

I’m not seeing Will on my computer. Just the melamine in the trash…

That’s good you got rid of it. I have Corelle too.

7. LindaW says:

Be careful with Corelle and children because if it is dropped on a hard floor like ceramic tile, it shatters into a zillion little shards.

8. Gillian says:

Thanks for your thoughts on this Sarah. Yes, we moms need to be vigilant and not assume things are safe for our kids just because they’re on the market & have been a long time. I’ve concluded for now that as long as one doesn’t overheat or use highly acidic foods on melamine, they’re safe for kids and other people. And, of course, we mustn’t eat the dishes themselves–the equivalent of the melamine-in-pet-food situation.

9. Tom says:

You were SIX YEARS AHEAD of everyone.
    Only NOW has attention been drawn to the use of melamine in our dinnerware.
    Keep on doing what you’re doing.
    You are a trailblazer.

• Sarah W. Caron says:

Thanks, Tom. This decision was a big one for me — and we’ve never looked back (no matter how cute the melamine plates are!). What’s more (better?) is that when I did this, it encouraged several of my friends and family to do the same.

• Corina says:

I’ve been recently having the same questions as you did, which led me to this post. I have been looking at the table wear that Green Toys is putting out: made from recycled bottles, no toxins etc… Though plastic is plastic, so I’m not sure if its actually much better. I’ll have to keep researching, but thought I’d share anyway. Might be a good, non-breakable solution for these years.