Top Chef Chicago: Week 13 Reflections

| June 5, 2008 | 8 Comments

I am so disappointed.

This elimination was a nail biter. Antonia undercooked those beans (couldn’t you just read the subtext of “how long did you soak these beans for?”). Lisa has been a bottom two dweller since . . . well for the whole run. Could Lisa actually make it through another week?

Yes. Yes, she could. I am aghast. I am shocked. Lisa is going to the finale. Antonia is not.

Seriously. How could Lisa make it through? Why don’t the judges notice — or acknowledge — that she’s at the judge’s table week after week. Problem? Definitely. Something is just not right here. And her little gripe-session about Richard and Stephanie not congratulating her? Pathetic. Why hadn’t she just gone home?

Meanwhile, one of my favs, Antonia, packs her knives. The injustice.

Regarding the episode: I loved how Stephanie thought on her feet after the pork belly problem. She really pulled out three good looking plates. And Richard (who’s a new dad!) brought his best game too.

Lisa’s reaction when Padma announced that Stephanie would be choosing the sous chefs (prize for winning the Quickfire) was absolutely priceless. We were laughing out loud . . .

Butchering the pig . . . ehh. That would be the breaking point for me. Not sure I could hack it (no pun intended) in the competition with that challenge.

Onto the finale.

EDITED TO ADD: Check out pics of Richard’s adorable baby girl here. No wonder he’s been waxing poetic about “little Blais” babies this season . . . Her name is Riley.

Category: Top Chef

Sarah Walker Caron is a freelance writer, editor and recipe developer. Her work has appeared in countless online and print publications including iVillage, BELLA NYC Magazine, Yum for Kids magazine and more. She lives in Connecticut with her two kids, two beagles and husband.

1. ahaha – you beat me! I figured I’d post a comment even if you didn’t have a post up. CAN YOU BELIEVE IT?????????

I seriously can’t.

I think it’s always a sign when a person is surprised when they aren’t cut. Geez – what is going on with this show? I so wanted Dale to be there instead of her.

2. Austin says:

I am as apalled about Antonia going home as you are. Why not Lisa?? It’s true, she’s on the bottom time and time again, too many for my concern, yet the judges always overlook her mishaps.

Definite props to Stephanie for thinking on her feet… it was funny to see Dale be like “OMG I’m SOOOO sorry”.

I was laughing too when Stephanie was choosing sous chefs for everybody.

Breaking down the whole pig looked fun… would’ve taken a long time, but I would’ve had fun… just like last week how they broke down a whole long bone rib rack.

VF – Ha! I thought I would freak everyone out and get a post up right away. I am still in shock about it. If it was just one episode, maybe it was how they cut the scenes, but it’s been the whole season . . .

Austin, Dale’s reaction was great — it was nice to see him so sincere about it (and you know that there is a lot of room for insincerity there . . . ).

As for the pig . . . just not for me. Coincidentally though, there has been a lot of focus on knowing how to prepare ingredients for cooking this season that I don’t remember in past seasons. Do you? Like butchering? That hasn’t been done before, has it?

4. Tonia says:

Our power was out last night, so no Top Chef for me. I couldn’t resist checking in to see if you’d posted yet. I cannot believe Antonia went home instead of Lisa. I can’t wait to catch it tonight.

5. Austin says:

You know what, I actually didn’t start watching Top Chef until late last season, when they were down to the final 5. But there wasn’t any butchering that I can remember, not like this season. I mean, breaking down a rib rack for the final challenge, then breaking down a whole pig as part of the finale… that is a lot of butchering.

I haven’t done much butchering, not like they’ve done. Back in culinary school we’ve broken down chickens, fileted salmon, but no big time butchery. We had a whole lamb in one of my classes, but the instructor broke that down for us.

Awww Tonia! That stinks! Be sure to check in once you’ve watched it and let us know your thoughts too!

Austin, as someone who’s been formally trained, do you think you could break down a pig on zero notice?

7. Tonia says:

Oh my goodness, this was a bittersweet episode for me since I already knew the outcome. Every time Antonia was saying how much she wanted to stay, I just wanted to cry for her. I really can’t believe she went home instead of Lisa. Even though the beans were undercooked, she’s done a much better job than Lisa.

I loved it when Richard made his comment early in the show about Lisa being “like a dark cloud” or something like that. We were laughing when she got made at Richard & Stephanie about not being congratulated.

I really like both Richard & Stephanie and would be fine if either of them win…just don’t let Lisa win.

I think that Antonia may have been sent home to keep Lisa in the top 3 just for the drama she brings. The disclaimer at the end of the show states something along the lines that producers & possibly Bravo execs may have been in the voting decision. What do you all think?

8. Tonia says:

Oh, one more thing I wanted to say… There is one good thing about the Top Chef season ending: no more Kathy Griffin commercials! I would not want to be famous for being being the celebrity that no one really notices, if that makes sense.