After a summer of bursting fresh heirloom tomatoes, peaches with juices that dribble down your chin, corn so sweet it might be better than candy and discovering summer squash, I am ready for the next phase of vegetable eating. Bring on the broccoli and the roasted cauliflower. A taste of asparagus? Yes please! And Brussels sprouts … oh, yes!
Are you ready for the turn of season?
- 10 oz brussels sprouts, trimmed and quartered
- 4 slices salami, chopped
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- pine nuts (optional)
- grated sharp provolone cheese (optional)
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
- Combine the Brussels sprouts, salami, olive oil, salt and pepper in a cast iron, ovensafe dish. Place in oven and cook for 30-40 minutes, stirring every 10 minutes, until Brussels spouts are slightly browned and cooked through.
- Garnish with provolone and pine nuts, if desired.