When we were driving to my cousin’s house this afternoon, Will pointed out the brilliant blue sky (“I really like the color of that blue sky.”), and he was right, it was spectacular. It was one of those skies that takes on a breathtaking sapphire hue that makes you want to drink it in while sipping something cold and refreshing on the front porch.
That’s the kind of day it was too – relaxed, brilliant, spectacular. We had brunch at my house (you will be hearing lots about that meal this week. Mmmm!) before heading to my cousin’s for an Easter egg hunt and dessert. Between cooking (and that last-minute batch of cookies I whipped up … wait to you hear why later this week), and visiting, it was a jam-packed day, but in the best way. I love seeing all of our kids together – there is something magical about a group of cousins who enjoy each other’s company like that.
Brunch yielded a serious amount of leftovers at my house … including a great stash of ham. I’ve been clicking around trying to decide what to do with it all … Here are five of my favorite ham recipe finds.
- Ham and Cheese Quiche – Ok, I admit it. I am a huge fan of quiche. HUGE. And one of my very, very favorite combinations is ham and cheese. The recipe for Ham, Leak and Three-Cheese Quiche at Epicurious looks absolutely fantastic.
- Split Pea Soup – When I was a little girl, I remember this one day where someone was painting inside my grandparent’s house and they decided to order out for lunch. They brought these big, amazing sandwiches home and cups of split pea soup. To this day, my mouth waters when I think of it … and I have yet to find one as good. But the recipe for Split Pea Soup with Ham, Mushrooms, Carrots, and Wheatberries at Kalyn’s Kitchen sure sounds delicious.
- Macaroni and Cheese with Ham – There is nothing more comforting than macaroni and cheese. It’s once of those kid-dishes that just warms the belly, like arms encompassing you. Mmm. And the 1988 Macaroni with Ham and Cheese Recipe from the New York Times is a perfect option.
- An Amazing Ham Sandwich – My mouth waters just thinking of the prospect of having a ham sandwich. But what’s better than a plain ham on bread? A ham panini. Mmm. For a great option, check out the Ham, Brie and Apple French Toast Panini at Serious Eats. It’s seriously drool-worthy.
- Hash – Oh, how I adore hash. We will be tossing together our leftover potato hashbrowns and some diced ham for a delicious accompaniment to eggs. If you are looking for a great ham hash recipe, check out the Ham and Potato Hash at Simply Recipes.