Raw beets star in this light and crisp recipe for Vinaigrette Beet Slaw — it’s a perfect recipe for a crowd.
It all started with the cabbage I’ve been growing. It was taunting me and I knew it was time to finally — finally — use it. Then the beets in the back of my fridge gave me a nudge. Before I knew it, I was writing a list of ingredients and trying to figure out how much dressing I would really need.
The result was the salad you see above. It’s light and refreshing, unexpected but delicious. The raw beets add a nice punch of color, flavor and snap. The vinaigrette is neither too acidic nor too meek. It adds just the right balance to the other flavors.
When I made this, it was to share. I intended it for our camping trip, another family’s camping trip and my newest neighbor. The recipe made plenty, and since it wasn’t a mayo-based dressing, this slaw stood up better to the challenges of chilling in a cooler. It remained crisp and perfect. I imagine this would be great for a backyard barbecue too (Labor Day is coming!).
Perhaps the greatest endorsement though? I gave Will and Paige each a taste before packing up our portion of the slaw. Paige stood next to me, chewing and then opening her mouth to demand more on repeat until I finally laughed and said we really needed to go. She just couldn’t get enough.
- 1 large green cabbage (10-12 inches in diameter)
- 1 small red cabbage (4-6 inches in diameter)
- 1 lb beets, scrubbed, peeled and ends removed
- ¼ cup apple cider vinegar
- ½ cup extra virgin olive oil
- 1 tbsp honey
- ¼ cup chopped fresh parsley
- ¼ cup chopped fresh basil (I used purple basil, but regular basil works just as well)
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 1 tsp salt
- Using a large, full-size food processor, shred the cabbages and beets. Transfer to a very large bowl (you need room to stir) and use a large spoon to mix the cabbages and beets together.
- In a small bowl, whisk together the apple cider vinegar, olive oil, honey, parsley, basil, garlic and salt. Pour the dressing over the cabbage mixture and let sit for 10 minutes. Stir well. Then transfer to airtight containers until ready to serve (be sure to evenly distribute the juices at the bottom of the bowl between the storage containers. Chill.
- Stir well before serving.