What do you do on New Year’s Eve? Nearly every year for as long as I can remember, I have stayed home, watched a movie and ate some delicious food. At midnight, I always have some sort of sparkling wine or champagne.
Back when I was a teen, our family tradition was to eat a spread of appetizers in lieu of dinner: ultra-hot buffalo wings, spicy nachos and mozzarella sticks. Then we’d watch a movie that ended just in time for Dick Clark’s New Year’s Rockin’ Eve. These days, I still watch the movie. However, dinner is takeout eaten earlier in the evening with the kids.
But I still love the idea of an apps spread.
Looking for a great appetizer for your New Year’s Eve celebration? These 10 fabulous appetizers (after the jump) are perfect.
- Turkey Pepperoni and Cheese Stuffed Puff Pastry – Flaky puff pastry is stuffed with two cheeses and slices of turkey pepperoni. This kid- and guy-friendly appetizer is a great finger food.
- Hot Spinach and Artichoke Dip – Just the idea of spinach, artichokes and cheese in a piping hot dip is enough to make the mouth water. This delicious version from In Good Taste lightens it up a little.
- Mango Chipotle Shrimp – These sweet and spicy shrimp are a definite crowd-pleaser. Serve them on cut toothpicks with extra sauce in a bowl for dipping.
- Chipotle Lime Deviled Eggs – Deviled eggs are one of those quintessential appetizer foods that look perfect on an appetizer spread. This spicy-tangy version comes from Kalyn’s Kitchen.
- Roasted Garlic and Artichoke Bread – Sweet and rich roasted garlic is spread on bread and topped with tangy roasted artichoke hearts and then sprinkled with asiago. It’s a little bit complicated but totally worth the effort.
- Pancetta Crisps with Goat Cheese and Pears – Are you drooling yet? Sweet, creamy and salt come together in this mouthwatering appetizer from Sweetnicks.
- Prosciutto Wrapped Roasted Asparagus – Salty prosciutto makes roasted asparagus just amazing. This one is so quick and easy, yet totally beautiful on a plate.
- Stuffed Mini Sweet Peppers – Small sweet peppers are stuffed with herbs, tomatoes and cheese. Not only are these tasty, but they also can be made ahead. Score!
- Fillo Clams Casino – Love the salty, buttery taste of clams casino? These delicious little cups have it, no clam-opening required (read: way easier!).
- Bruschetta with Tomato and Basil – I am a big fan of cooking in season, but bruschetta is a bright and wonderful appetizer for any time of year. This one from Simply Recipes sounds perfect.