Easy Roasted Sunchokes Recipe

| February 17, 2010 | 14 Comments

sunchoke1

A few years ago, I read a blog post where the author declared their undying love for sunchokes, aka Jerusalem artichokes. I’d never seen or heard of this … thing (not knowing what it was, I couldn’t decide if it was a vegetable or what). Fast forward to a few weeks ago, I discovered sunchokes for sale in a new local Whole Foods store. Of course I bought them right away and rushed home to cook them, right? Well, no. Actually, I made a mental note to purchase them next time and picked up my beloved daikon radishes instead.

Last week, I found myself back at the same Whole Foods and grabbed about a pound of sunchokes to try.

sunchoke5

Sunchokes are a root vegetable that looks a lot like a potato with a hint of a knobby ginger root. Raw sunchokes are said to have the texture of water chestnuts, though I felt like it was little more like a raw radish (the red, round kind). When you cook them, they get creamy and smooth. The taste? They don’t have any overwhelming taste when raw (read: kind of bland) but when roasted, they take on a slight sweetness with hints of potato and artichoke heart. Actually, my husband and I agreed that the taste bears a stunning likeness to Terra chips.

I think the true test of a new food (and yes, this was a new food to me) is whether you would eat it again. I definitely will. And as with most veggies, they taste great when roasted. These will likely hit my table again this weekend.

Easy Roasted Sunchokes

Prep Time: 10 minutes

Cook Time: 45 minutes

Total Time: 55 minutes

Yield: serves 2

Ingredients

• 1 lb sunchokes
  • 1 tbsp olive oil
  • salt and pepper

Instructions

1. Preheat the oven to 400 degrees. Line a baking sheet with aluminum foil.
  2. Rinse the sunchokes under cold water, scrubbing lightly to remove any dirt. Cut into quarters and place onto the baking sheet. Don’t over-crowd them though, they need their space.
  3. Drizzle the sunchokes with olive oil and sprinkle generously with salt and pepper.
  4. Cook for 35-45 minutes, stirring once or twice.

Notes

This recipe is a cinch to double or triple to serve more people.

Schema/Recipe SEO Data Markup by ZipList Recipe Plugin

Category: Recipes, side dishes, vegetables, vegetarian

Sarah W. Caron is a freelance writer, editor and recipe developer. Her work has appeared in countless online and print publications including iVillage, BELLA NYC Magazine, Yum for Kids magazine and more. She lives in Connecticut with her two kids, two beagles and husband.

Sites That Link to this Post

1. Scintillating Simplicity | August 30, 2011
  1. Meghan says:

I’ve never heard of these! I will definitely be on the lookout – a veggie that tastes like a potato and an artichoke sounds fantastic!
    .-= Meghan´s last blog ..Pico de Gallo Chicken Quesadillas =-.

2. Amanda says:

You are such a good teacher… I knew nothing about this veggie… now I feel much more likely to try them!

3. I have never tried these. I am bookmarking the recipe so when I do see sunchokes at the grocery I will have the perfect recipe.

4. Love the first picture! Never had sunchokes before, but will definitely keep an eye out for them.
    .-= Cate O’Malley´s last blog ..Wordless Wednesday =-.

5. Maria says:

Love this post. The sunchokes look amazing!
    .-= Maria´s last blog ..2peas3-0 =-.

6. Pat says:

I grow them in my garden. These are actually members of the sunflower family. They grow wild throughout much of America. Growing in a profusion of tall (8 feet) stems and flowers (2 to 3 inches across) they make a lovely addition to a garden if you have space for them. I control the height by cutting back before the blooms appear. Harvest the roots as needed & harvest all at the end of the season and replant a few tubers for regrowth next season. Get your start by planting a few of the sun-chokes purchased in the store. They grow easily. Happy gardening!

7. tom says:

Yeah, super easy to grow! Actually, they take over. I need to eat more of these!!!

8. Andrea says:

I love trying new foods and will be trying this tonight, thanks for sharing!

9. mildred says:

You can’t belive how people do not know about or even cook sunchokes. Was at local Grange auction and Sunchokes came up to bid on and no one know any thing about them . They went for a quater a bag. I have them growing all over, we love them.All ways looking for new recipes to cook them. My family likes them raw, with salt on.

10. Slava says:

it is a pity that in Russia it is difficult to get such product :)

11. George C. says:

My daughterinlaw’s sister gave me a large bag full of these veggies but I really didn’t know what to d o with them until I read your article. Thanks for the information. I will roast some of the tonight with dinner. Do you have other recipes that the sunchokes can be used with? If so I would certainly like to have any that you might have.