Yesterday was a day filled with sandcastles, swimming and laughter. The kids and I spent nearly all day at the beach (don’t worry, we remembered the sunscreen!). We paused for a fast lunch, but otherwise we could be found splashing in the water, playing in the sand and generally having a good time. When I brought Paige home at 4ish, she collapsed into bed for a long, long nap. That’s the sign of a good day.
It nice on days like yesterday to have an arsenal of ready-to-go dishes that won’t heat up the kitchen. These little single serve lasagnas are just that. Make them and freeze them when you have time, and then you can just whip them out to defrost. When it’s time to cook, they grill up in just 10 minutes.
And don’t worry — just because these are fast and easy to cook, you aren’t losing on flavor. These deliver big-time with that familiar meaty goodness.
They are also a cinch to prepare. You layer cooked lasagna noodles in a mini loaf pan with ricotta, sausage and marinara and then top them off with fresh mozzarella. The result is a delicious, satisying pasta dish that goes perfectly with a big tossed salad.
(Psst! Check back tomorrow for a vegetarian version.)
What have you been grilling lately?
- 8 lasagna noodles, cooked and cooled
- 1 cup ricotta cheese
- 2 cups tomato basil marinara
- 8 slices fresh mozzarella cheese
- 4 precooked Sweet Italian Chicken Sausages, chopped
- Heat your grill on its hottest setting (if using gas) or prepare charcoal for cooking. Also, you will need four disposable mini-loaf pans.
- Line each of the mini-loaf pans with one lasagna noodle, letting half of it hang out over the edge.
- Spread about two tablespoons over each lasagna noodle. Sprinkle with a handful of sausage. Drizzle with about two tablespoons marinara sauce. Wrap the dangling half of the lasagna noodle over the filling.
- Spread two tablespoons marinara over the noodle.
- Repeat steps 2-4 with a second noodle in each pan.
- Top each mini lasagna with two slices mozzarella cheese.
- Place the mini loaf pans on the grill (direct heat). Cover with the grill lid and cook for 10 minutes, until the lasagnas are hot and bubbly, and the edges are lightly browned.
- Let cool slightly before serving.