That’s ketchup. Homemade ketchup! Yum.
A few years ago, when I first started to rid my house of processed foods, I pondered making my own condiments like ketchup, but that seemed like too, too much when there were acceptable organic versions available in most stores. Of course, we soon learned that some of those organic versions of ketchup in particular left something to be desired in the taste category. Still, we found one we liked and stuck with it.
Fast forward to a few weeks ago, when one of my editors and I were talking about creative toppings for the barbecue. The idea of homemade ketchup came up, and I couldn’t get it out of my head. So, I started working on it, finding the right combination of seasonings to create a homemade ketchup recipe that my family would love.
Once I set to making it, I discovered that tomato puree worked as a perfect base for this homemade ketchup recipe since it could be combined with seasonings and reduced pretty easily — no blending necessary. Just whisk it together, and occasionally whisk it a bit to keep from burning or anything. But mostly, you just let it boil down (with a splatter guard, of course!). It’s super easy.
Also, be warned, it’s best to remove the pan from the heat and wait a few seconds to remove the splatter guard for whisking … this boils rapidly and that will help you avoid getting burned. Return to the heat when you are ready to cook again.
This easy ketchup recipe will have your family raving.
- 1 28 oz-can tomato puree
- ¼ cup cider vinegar
- ½ cup dark brown sugar
- ½ tsp dry mustard
- ½ tsp kosher salt (or more, to taste)
- ½ tsp garlic powder
- ½ tsp allspice
- ¼ tsp smoked paprika
- In a saucepan, whisk together all the ingredients over medium heat.
- Bring to a boil, whisking occasionally, and cook for 10-15 minutes, until thickened to desired consistency. Be sure to use a splash guard to prevent splatter and also remove the pan from the heat to stir.
- Let cool slightly before serving. Store in an airtight container in the fridge.
Serve this with these delicious burgers and fries:
- Blue Cheese Stuffed Burger
- Best-Ever Chicken Burgers
- Asiago Pepper Steak Fries
- Oven-Baked Sweet Potato Fries
- Easy Low-Fat Oven Fries