Gorgonzola melts into the delicate sauce and coats the pasta with flavorful goodness in this Creamy Gorgonzola and Shrimp Pasta recipe.
Choice is so important. We all make choices every day: shopping the farmers market or not, shopping at big supermarkets or small local markets, cooking at home or eating out, trying something new or sticking with something you know you’ll love and enjoy. When it comes to food, everything is a choice.
I used to fall into the category of people who would nibble, nibble, nibble at whatever I could find when I was hungry — even if it wasn’t what I really wanted. Sometimes lunch would just be a series of nibbles. That was a choice, albeit a bad one. Now, I make the choice not to eat unless I really want what I am eating. That way, I don’t overeat simply because I can’t find what I want.
Likewise, when it comes to shopping for food, I choose to shop where I like. For instance, two local grocery stores are filled with happy, helpful workers … I love shopping there. And the local farmers’ markets have enthusiastic farmers who are happy to chat about their produce and products. It’s a joy to go there …
But recently, I stopped at a big mega-supermarket for a few dinner supplies and I was faced with the opposite: grumpy, eye-rolling, rude workers who acted like my request for a pound of large, raw shrimp was out of line. It was such an unpleasant experience that I probably will never go back there (really, I need to find a small fish monger to shop from. Anyone know of one in the Greater New Haven area?). That’s my choice.
In any case, despite the unpleasant fish counter worker, this Creamy Gorgonzola and Shrimp Pasta is fantastic. I adapted it from my recipe for Shrimp in White Wine and Garlic Sauce, adding gorgonzola to make a lovely, creamy sauced pasta. The gorgonzola melts into the delicate sauce and coats the pasta with flavorful goodness. Honestly, I could have licked the bowl. Paige, who runs hot and cold with shrimp, kept asking for more and more.
Serve this Creamy Gorgonzola and Shrimp Pasta with a big chopped herb salad and some fresh fruit for dessert. Delish!
Tell me about where you shop! Does the attitude of the workers impact your choices?
- ½ tbsp butter
- ½ tbsp olive oil
- 3 cloves garlic, chopped
- 1 lb raw large shrimp, peeled and deveined
- ½ cup white wine
- salt and pepper, to taste
- 1 cup basil leaves, roughly chopped
- ½ cup crumbled gorgonzola cheese
- ½ lb penne, cooked according to package directions
- In a large skillet, combine the butter and olive oil. Heat on medium, until the butter is melted, occasionally swirling the pan to combine.
- Add the garlic and cook, stirring occasionally, for 2-3 minutes until softened (do not let it brown!).
- Add the shrimp to the pan and stir to coat. Cook, flipping the shrimp, until just barely pink on both sides.
- Pour in the white wine and season with salt and pepper. Stir well. Bring the mixture to a boil, then add the basil. Cook for 10 minutes.
- Sprinkle the gorgonzola evenly over the pan. Stir to combine. Then, add the cooked pasta and toss to coat.
- Serve immediately.