One of the best parts of belonging to a CSA is getting to chat with the farmers when you pick up your share. We discuss the crops, how things are progressing and trade tips on what to do with the produce. Today, the conversation revolved around some cows that the farm will be getting in the next year, as well as plans for pick-your-own fields … it’s an exciting time for the farm.
This week’s share includes some of my favorite things. Tonight, we had a simple dinner of grilled chicken, corn on the cob, sliced tomatoes with blue cheese, olive oil, salt and pepper, and pasta. It was delish.
We’ll also be having some of this fabulous Grilled Summer Squash with Tomatoes, Garlic and Scallions this week. This recipe I came up with on a whim recently when loads of squash sat taunting me on the counter. I knew I needed to do something with it before it went bad … and this was the result. I’ve made it a couple times since, because the flavors are fabulous. Sweet, garlicky, salty … all at once. And I love how some of the slices get slightly caramelized.
Even if you aren’t a fan of squash, this is a recipe worth trying.
Wondering what to do with your produce this week? Try these recipes:
- Peppers – Make Your Own Couscous
- Tomatoes – Heirloom Tomatoes with Blue Cheese Dressing
- Red Cabbage – Sweet and Sour Red Cabbage
- Eggplant – Eggplant Parmesan
- Cucumbers – Greek Chicken Salad Sandwiches
- Green Beans – Balsamic Roasted Green Beans
- 2 summer squash, sliced into ¼ inch slices
- 3 plum tomatoes, diced
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 scallions, chopped
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- sea salt and pepper
- In a large bowl, combine all of the ingredients, stirring to mix well.
- Spread out a large sheet of aluminum foil. Then, pour the squash mixture into the center of the foil. Spread to about 2-inches from each edge. Top with a second large sheet of foil. Then, seal the edges all around.
- Place the foil packet on the grill and heat it over a high flame for 10 minutes. Then reduce the heat to medium and cook for an additional 20 minutes.
- Remove the packet from the grill and carefully open it. The steam escaping will be super hot.
- Sprinkle with an additional bit of salt just before serving.