A little while back, I was chatting with Cate online one night — as we often do — when we realized that we both had the same health goal: to lose 40 pounds. After talking about it a little bit, we decided to try losing it together — with a little edge of competition. First one to lose it all gets a gift card to their favorite store (I suspect that we both may choose J. Crew).
The more we talked about the idea though, the more we thought, “Hey! Let’s blog about it. And heck, let’s see if other bloggers with their own healthy goals want to join us.” Everything spiraled into a fabulous plan from there.
So, each week we’ll all be writing about the same writing prompt (Basically a question that we can all write about in terms of our goals. This week is What’s Your Goal? Next week is Where is Your Support Community? And so on …) that focuses on some aspect of improving yourself. And we’ll also be sharing our progress along the way. There is no end date for this — we’re just on a necessary and welcome journey together.
What’s Your Goal?
This week’s topic is goals — specifically what our health-related goals are for this year. Here are mine:
- Lose 40 lbs – This is a big one. And it wouldn’t be effective without a plan, so of course I have one. I will be exercising at least 10 minutes each day. I plan to eat better — not necessarily less, but better. And I plan to lean on my community (as in my fellow bloggers for this challenge) to help keep me on track.
- Save More, Spend Less – I know, I know … what does this have to do with health? A lot actually. I spend a lot of money on food — not just takeout and eating out, but also at the grocery store. I plan to cut back. Use coupons again. Menu plan to ensure that we are buying only what we need.
- Be Happier – In the past year, I have come to realize that happiness is a decision. You can get sidelined by stress, rolled over by little things, and pissed off by the small stuff. Or you can take it in stride — a few cleansing breaths and move on. Cate refers to this as “being like a duck, and let it roll off you.” So, I plan to do a lot of quacking. I am making the decision to be happy.
I’ve debated about how best to share my starting point with you. Should I share my actual weight, which makes me cringe? Should I give you something else — measurements of my waist, arms, etc?
Ultimately though, I decided to go visual. I mean, anyone can look at numbers and formulate their own mental picture, but visual will give you a concrete idea of where I am now and where I am in four weeks and so on.
On the last Friday of the month, Cate and I will be sharing our progress. As part of that, I will give you a concrete number of pounds lost. … And another photo.
Tune in next Monday when the Eat. Live. Be. bloggers write about where they find support in their healthy journey. You can also learn a little more about how I am going to do by visiting my post, A Healthier 2011, on Tablespoon.
And finally, be sure to check out the other Eat. Live. Be. For a Better 2011 bloggers on their blogs and on our Facebook page. Cheers!
- Sarah Caron – Sarah’s Cucina Bella
- Cate O’Malley – Sweetnicks
- Maris Callahan – In Good Taste
- Chris Arpante – Mele Cotte
- Faith – Blog Appetit.com/
- Kristen -Dine and Dish
- Emily - The Anderson Crew
- Jenna – FireMom - Stop, Drop and Blog
- Joanne – Eats Well with Others
- Casey – The Starnes Family
- Patsy – Family, Friends and Food
- Tri-Fit Mom – Tri-Fit Mom
- Claire – Cooking is Medicine
- Allison – Sweet Flours
- Jen – NJ Epicurean
Category: Healthy Life