Eat. Live. Be. For a Better 2011: Even When It’s Cold

| January 17, 2011 | 11 Comments

Remember last week when I mentioned that we have had three big winter storms in three weeks? Well, we are about to make that four in four weeks. It’s all anyone around here can talk about too — we haven’t had a winter like this since the 1990s.

Considering that, it’s pretty apropos that this week’s Eat. Live. Be. topic is Baby, It’s Cold Outside.

Seriously. It’s super cold outside. And when it’s cold like this, it can be really difficult to muster the desire to do much more than curl up with a good book, a warm beverage and a fuzzy blanket. But part of being healthy is sticking at it, even when it’s not at the top of your want-to-do list.

I’d be totally lying if I didn’t admit that in the past cold like this has been a major deterrent for me. Like huge, throw all that work out the window, deterrent. But this time around, I am not letting it be. I’m working my butt off to lose and keep losing (and it’s working).

Here’s what I do:

• Have a variety of exercise options. If my basement home gym is too cold, then I stay upstairs and do a longer video. I stream workout videos from Netflix, which allows me to have a wide variety of options — without owning 10 billion exercise DVDs. Plus, if I hate one, then I can just not do it again and it hasn’t cost me anything extra. If that fails, I keep the workout shorter.
  • Do it anyway. I know, this is a discipline thing. But I try to remember my goal to do 10 minutes of exercise each day. When it’s the last thing I want to do, I do that 10 minutes anyway.
  • Visualize. The power of visualization is incredible. I know, realistically, what I look like, but visualizing what I could look like if I stick with it is a huge motivator. Who doesn’t want slim curves? And when the going gets super tough, I think what Cate might be doing. She’s had so much success with her regime over the last year … but we do have this friendly competition and I want to win. Badly.

What do you do in the wintertime to stay motivated? Share in the comments!

Eat. Live. Be. bloggers, leave your link in the widget below!

Category: Healthy Life

Sarah Walker Caron is a writer, editor and recipe developer who loves to create delicious recipes the whole family can enjoy together. Her work has appeared in countless publications including iVillage, BELLA NYC Magazine, Yum for Kids magazine and more. She lives in Maine with her two food-loving kids.

1. ally says:

Hey Sarah,
    Great job being consistent with your daily workout goals! So far I have been consistent for 3 weeks going on 4 with my 3-4 times a week workouts.

What do you do for your diet regimen? Thanks!

2. Jen says:

I’m definitely going to try streaming workout videos from Netflix now that we have that ability. Any good ones you recommend?

3. Joanne says:

I had no idea that you could stream exercise videos from Netflix! That makes me incredibly excited. I just ordered the Insanity set of videos just so that I’d have something I could do at home when I truly didn’t feel like leaving my apartment but it’s nice to know that there’s another resource as well!

I love the visualization idea. I bet it would be awesome for when I’m reaching for those M+M’s/”insert random chocolate here”.

Keep up the good work Sarah!

4. Sarah says:

I never knew that you can download exercise videos from nextflix! AWESOME! I am definitely trying that out this week. Do you have any favorites?

Hey ladies — Here are a few of my favorites:

- Crunch Fat Burning Pilates
    - 10 Minute Solution: Fat Blasting Dance Mix
    - Crunch: CardioSalsa
    - 10 Minute Solution: Rapid Results Pilates

6. Kate says:

I told my husband about the theme this week and he said “no one’s going to want to hear your thoughts on cold weather. you live in California.” I feel guilty when I read about your snowstorms!

7. Dawn says:

I love the ten minute rule. What is great about that is if you only do ten minutes at least you did something but usually by the time you get your workout stuff on and are already working out you’re more apt to just keep on going!

8. FireMom says:

I also find that these cold, cold, cold winter months need variety for me as well. So far, I’m doing okay. I really like ExerciseTV’s options. (We don’t do Netflix.)

9. Great information about streaming exercise videos. I could not get to the gym last week because of the snow and ice. I was miserable!

10. allison says:

I had no idea you could stream from netflix! I am so fired up on this. There are a few videos I have wanted to try.

Keep up the great work during this snowy time … I am jealous. We are dying to get to the snow.