Breathe in. Breathe out. That’s something I have been saying a lot lately. It’s a cleansing breath, a reminder to be still for a minute and relax and so much more. And with a challenge that’s all about changing your life, it’s important to remember to do that.
It’s Eat. Live. Be. For a Better 2011 day again, and this week’s topic is Go-To Snacks.
There couldn’t be a more perfect topic for me. I am a snacker. Though I have improved (by that I mean having fewer, better snacks), I still love a good snack. But the snacks I crave — cookies, chips and the like — really aren’t good for me, so I’ve been avoiding them and trading them for better snacks. Once that deliver those elements of sweet, crunch or salt that I love, without the empty calories.
As a result, I have largely overhauled our snack cabinets, choosing really smart snacks to keep handy instead of the ones that taste good but aren’t that nutritious.
Generally, I keep all or most of these on hand (though stocks are admittedly low today … I just polished off the almonds and we are plain out of pretzels).
- Nuts and seeds – dry-roasted almonds, roasted and salted pumpkin seeds, pistachio nuts
- Fruit – bananas, berries of all hues and types, sometimes apples or clementines
- Crackers – anything whole-grain
- Pretzels – honey-wheat braids, preferably
- Dried fruit – freeze-dried pineapple and strawberries, dried cranberries, dried apples
Now, if I am craving something sweet – like dessert sweet – my go-to is one that I think I swiped from Cate: Whole grain toast with a tablespoon of all-natural peanut butter and a drizzle of honey. It’s delish and totally fixes that sweet craving.
What are your go-to snacks? Share!
Be sure to check out the other ELB bloggers too.
- Cate O’Malley from Sweetnicks
- Joanne from Eats Well with Others
- Maris Callahan – In Good Taste
- Chris Arpante – Melecotte
- Faith – Blog Appetit
- Kristen -Dine and Dish
- Jenna – Stop, Drop and Blog
- Casey – The Starnes Family
- Patsy – Family, Friends and Food
- Tri-Fit Mom
- Claire – Cooking is Medicine
- Allison – Sweet Flours
- Jen – NJ Epicurean
- Leslie – The Hungry Housewife
- Rivki Locker – Healthy Eating for Ordinary People
- Claudia – Journey of an Italian Cook
- Jennifer Schulz – Lick-a-Plate
- Sarah Rogers – Sarah’s Sweet Creations
- Denise and Lenny – Chez Us
P.S. If you haven’t already, please take my Family Meals Survey 2011. I am a little over half-way to my goal of 100 responses. Please help me get there!
Category: Healthy Life