Roasted Cauliflower, Sweet Potatoes and Garbanzo Beans Over Rice

| March 31, 2011 | 13 Comments

_MG_4998

This morning, I found out that a friend of mine has cancer. No, wait, that’s Cancer, with a capital ‘C.’ I’ve been processing this all day and am still at a loss for words. I am praying for her health. But my friend’s story isn’t mine to tell.

Learning that this wonderful, kind, sweet woman has cancer hit me like a ton of bricks. Cancer doesn’t care how good or nice you are. It just attacks, a cruel and invasive enemy.

This got me thinking … What can we do so that we set ourselves up to avoid this monstrous disease? How can we give ourselves a fighting chance against cancer?

We can’t prevent it. But what we can do is take steps to give ourselves the best chance of avoiding it. How? Eat well. Live well. Be fit.

For diet, there’s something called The Anti-Cancer Diet, which stresses lots of fruits and veggies, healthy oils and fats and more plant-based food than meat. It sounds similar to the Mediterranean Diet and Clean Eating. It’s important to think about what you are eating and make deliberate, informed choices.

See also Eat. Live. Be. For a Better 2011.

Then there is exercise — regular exercise. As if by a strange coincidence, the kids and I started jogging this week, and I am considering running a 5K. But whether you jog or hit the gym or Zumba like crazy, doing something to raise your heart rate and keep your body fit helps.

So, with The Anti-Cancer Diet in mind, Paige and I made this for lunch today. This recipe draws on healthy, anti-cancer foods like cauliflower, sweet potatoes and garbanzo beans. The filling combination of sweet and savory is perfect over rice. If you want to up the health ante, use brown rice.

_MG_4976

What’s your favorite anti-cancer food?

Roasted Cauliflower, Sweet Potatoes and Garbanzo Beans
serves 4

1 medium cauliflower, cut into 1″ florets
1 4-5″ long sweet potatoes, cut into a 3/4″ dice
1 15.5 oz can garbanzo beans
2 tbsp olive oil
1 tsp ground ginger
1 tsp tumeric
1/2 tsp ground cinnamon
salt, to taste

Preheat oven to 400 degrees. Line a baking sheet with aluminum foil.

In a large mixing bowl, combine the cauliflower, sweet potatoes, garbanzo beans, olive oil, ginger, tumeric and cinnamon. Toss well to mix, taking care to distribute the spices all over.

Slide the tray into the oven and bake for 20 minutes. Stir well. Bake for an additional 5-10 minutes, until the veggies are cooked through and lightly browned at the edges.

Serve over rice.

Tags: ,

Category: lunch, Recipes, rice, vegetables, vegetarian

Sarah Walker Caron is a freelance writer, editor and recipe developer. Her work has appeared in countless online and print publications including iVillage, BELLA NYC Magazine, Yum for Kids magazine and more. She lives in Connecticut with her two kids, two beagles and husband.

1. Deb Nevins says:

Sorry about your friend, Sarah. Sad. Your recipe looks yummy, but I think you have a typo in the ingredient list. You list ginger twice, in different amounts. Take a look. by the way, they say turmeric is a good anti-cancer ingredient, too.

Thank you so much, Deb. The second one should have read cinnamon. I fixed it in the ingredients list. And yes! I’ve heard that about turmeric too.

3. Patti V. says:

Sounds yummy, Sarah. I love garbanzo beans.
    Lots and lots of veggies (even more than fruit), whole grains and limit red meat. The nutritionist I met last week would approve. ;-)

If eating canned soup, like minestrone, just add more veggies, she said.

4. Kate says:

I think I’ve mentioned before that we don’t like cauliflower, but are trying to work it into our diets. Roasting definitely seems to be the leader right now for us!

• Sarah Caron says:

Kate, I love it … but when I was young, I didn’t and my uncle would make it with cheese sauce for me. Loved it that way. Though … it’s not the healthiest route :)

5. I am so, so sorry to hear about your friend. I incorporate all kinds of anti-cancer foods into my life each week. My mom was diagnosed with stage 4 brain and lung cancer almost 4 years ago and is thriving on the anti-cancer diet!!

6. Will keep your friend and her family in my thoughts – so sorry to hear!

7. Kim says:

This looks beyond delish. The fantastic flavors are just an added bonus! The star of the show is the health benefits. I’m definitely going to have to try this one out, I’ve been looking for a recipe that will satisfy me but keep my healthy!

In addition, I’m sorry to hear about your friend. Cancer is no joke, but I will keep you and your friend in my thoughts and prayers!

8. Nanette says:

Hi Sarah,
    I made this just yesterday. The flavor was amazing. I felt it was a bit dry, however. Do you find that and if not, what might I do to add back a bit of moisture. I LOVED the flavors, did I mention that? :-) Thanks for your great recipes.

• Sarah Caron says:

Nanette, it’s definitely a drier dish. We didn’t mind it, but at the same time, a little more moisture wouldn’t be a bad thing. Two ways that I think you could add a little moisture to it are:

1) Toss the cooked veggies with 1-2 tbsp walnut oil.
      2) Add a little (maybe 1/4 cup) vegetable stock to the veggies before cooking. You could also toss them with 2 tbsp stock after cooking as well.

Hope that helps! And I really, really, really appreciate your honesty.

9. Nanette says:

Thank you so much! I will absolutely try that. I appreciate your recipes!