Popcorn is a Friday tradition on our house. It accompanies a special movie for the kids … our official end of the week ritual. Today, the flick was Curious George 2, which the kids loved as much as the original.
Our popcorn is almost always the same: drizzle with melted butter and sprinkled with sea or kosher salt. Sometimes, like today, we do other salt varieties today (I had truffle salt – YUM!). But generally, it’s the same, predictable, lovable tradition.
But as much as we love butter and salt, it’s nice to switch things up sometimes. Awhile ago, I asked Facebook fans of Sarah’s Cucina Bella what they recommended for toppings and I got a variety of answers (including the truffle salt one). One that stuck with me most was a suggestion to melt peanut butter and white chocolate and drizzle them over the popcorn. I’ve been thinking about it ever since.
The suggestion came from my younger cousin Shannon, a chef who now works at one of my favorite local restaurants (Go Shan!). Today I gave it a try. I had to switch up the white chocolate for milk chocolate, since that’s what I had handy. And I added a dusting of powdered sugar to attempt to make it a little less messy.
Oh. My. Goodness. It was so good. Honestly, since we’d already had popcorn, I planned to store this for snacking over the weekend. But when all was said and done, there is but a little bag of the Peanut Butter and Chocolate Popcorn left. We love it, and you can bet that the Friday tradition might just get shaken up more often now.
So, what about you? Does your family have a Friday tradition?
- 4 cups freshly popped plain popcorn
- 1 tbsp peanut butter
- 1 oz milk chocolate
- 1 tbsp powdered sugar
- Line a baking sheet with wax paper. Spread the popcorn in a single layer on the baking sheet.
- In a small microwave safe bowl, microwave the peanut butter on high for 30 second intervals, stirring after each one, until it's liquidy (about 1 minute). Drizzle the peanut butter all over the popcorn.
- In a second small microwave safe bowl, break the chocolate into pieces. Microwave on high at 30 second intervals, stirring after each one, until melted (about 1 minute). Drizzle the chocolate all over the popcorn.
- Sift the powdered sugar over the popcorn. Let sit for 30 minutes to harden slightly.
- Serve immediately with lots of napkins (it will be messy).