April is National Grilled Cheese Month. (Pausing for appropriate swooning … Don’t worry, I’ll wait. Okay, good now?) I don’t often get excited about food holidays but this is different. Grilled cheese is the thing that happy childhood memories are made of, right?
When I bite into a gooey, melty grilled cheese, I can feel the cane seats of the stools in my grandmother’s kitchen pressing into my legs. With every crunch of the buttery bread filled with creamy American cheese, I can feel the smooth Formica countertop, and picture the stone-like design in earthy red tones of the linoleum floor. Food memories like this are as close to traveling back in time to those happy days of childhood as you can get.
I seriously adore grilled cheese. Anything with cheese, really. So when KitchenPLAY asked me to join in the fun creating a new grilled cheese recipe for the “30 Days of Grilled Cheese” event sponsored by Land O’Lakes, I couldn’t say no.
A few years ago, I discovered Land O Lakes® Deli American Cheese, which is available in the deli counter. It’s like the cheese I grew up on, but better since it’s freshly cut. And when you melt it inside a grilled cheese, the smooth cheese melts in your mouth with its creamy deliciousness.
For this grilled cheese, I started with a thin bagel turned inside out. I love grilled cheeses on inside out roll-type breads — it adds a new dimension. And thin bagels are a great way to get the feel of that favorite bread without the heft of it. The bagel is buttered, giving a familiar toasted buttery exterior.
Inside this Roasted Portabella Mushroom Grilled Cheese, slices of freshly roasted portabella mushrooms are sandwiched between slices of creamy, gooey melted American cheese.
Say hello to deliciousness.
More Portabella Mushroom Recipes
And one more thing … there’s a pretty awesome thing going on with Land O’Lakes on Pinterest. Here are the details:
Pin a Meal. Give a Meal. From now until May 1, Land O’Lakes will donate $1 to Feeding America every time someone pins or repins a Land O’Lakes recipe on Pinterest. That’s eight meals for a hungry family when you pin a recipe—and eight more every time anyone else repins it. Giving goes viral. Find your favorite Grilled Cheese recipe to pin on landolakes.com.
- 1 portabella mushroom, sliced into ¼-inch slices
- 1 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- 2 thin bagels (sometimes called bagel thins)
- 1 tsp butter
- 4 slices Land O Lakes® Deli American Cheese
- Preheat the oven to 400 degrees.
- Place the mushrooms on a nonstick baking sheet in a single layer. Drizzle with olive oil and sprinkle with salt and pepper. Bake for 12 to 15 minutes until golden and softened, flipping once.
- Butter the inside of the bagels and turn inside out. Layer with cheese, mushrooms and cheese, then close the sandwiches. Toast on a griddle until golden brown, flip and toast again.
Disclosure: This post was sponsored by Land O’Lakes as part of the Kitchen PLAY Sidecar series. All opinions given are my own.