Nutty barley combines with sweet and spicy roasted vegetables in this Spicy Sriracha Honey Roasted Vegetables with Barley recipe. This was created for my client Grain Foods Foundation, but all opinions are my own.
Thanksgiving is, for many families, all about the food. And can you blame anyone? There is something so wonderfully decadent about creating a menu of favorites that the whole family can dig into together. On the day dedicated to gratitude, it’s a wonderful way to give thanks for your loved ones (creating the foods they love, I mean, but the eating is good too).
But the holiday season doesn’t have to be all about indulgence. In fact, whole grains and lean meals can help offset the food coma and upcoming onslaught of holiday parties. I mean, everyday can’t be a cookie and cocktail filled haze, can it?
That’s where dishes like this come in. This is a high-flavor (but lean) dish perfect for any night. Roasted veggies are combined with barley for a satisfying vegetarian meal. Enjoy this for dinner, and take the leftovers for lunch. Mmm.
Have you had barley lately? This grain isn’t just for cereal. With a delicious nuttiness and chewiness, it provides a nice contrast to the tender, sweet bits of butternut squash and carrots and firm garbanzo beans. And it’s all bathed in a sweet and spicy sriracha honey glaze.
Looking for more delicious grain-filled meals? Check out the Grain Foods Foundation website for inspiration.
- 3 cups cubed butternut squash
- 1 yellow onion, cut into chunks
- 1 cup carrot chunks (about 1-inch long)
- 1 15.5-oz can garbanzo beans, drained and rinsed
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- salt and pepper, to taste
- 2 tbsp honey
- 2 tbsp sriracha
- 1 tbsp seasoned rice vinegar
- ¼ tsp dijon mustard
- 1 cup cooked barley
- green onions, sliced (optional)
- Preheat oven to 425 degrees F. Line a rimmed baking sheet with nonstick aluminum foil.
- Spread the squash, onions, carrots and garbanzo beans on the baking sheet. Drizzle with olive oil and sprinkle with salt and pepper.
- Roast the vegetables for 30-35 minutes, stirring once, until golden.
- In a small bowl, whisk together the honey, sriracha, rice vinegar and mustard. Drizzle over the vegetables and toss to combine. Return to the oven and roast for an additional 5 minutes.
- In a large bowl, toss together the barley and roasted vegetables.
- This can be enjoyed hot or cold. Garnish with green onions, if desired.
Disclosure: I was compensated for creating this recipe but all onions are my own.