Mmm, what’s better than a cool, refreshing and fruity dessert? One that costs next to nothing to make! Get the watermelon on sale and whip up a batch of this.
(This recipe is part of The $7 Dinner Challenge.)
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 1/4 cup water
- 3 lbs watermelon, , cut into chunks
- juice from 1 lime
- Make simple syrup: Heat the sugar and water together on high heat until sugar dissolves into the water. Remove from heat and let cool.
- Combine watermelon and lime in a blender and whirl until smooth. Alternatively, use an immersion blender and blend the mixture smooth in a large bowl. Add the simple syrup and lime juice and blend again.
- Pour the mixture into a 9-inch by 13-inch baking pan and freeze. Scrape with a fork every half an hour until all the liquid has frozen. This takes from 1-3 hours.
- Spoon into glasses and serve.
Sarah Walker Caron is a cookbook author, freelance writer and founder of Sarah’s Cucina Bella. She is the author of several cookbooks including The Super Easy 5-Ingredient Cookbook and One-Pot Pasta, both from Rockridge Press. A single mother to two kids in middle school, Sarah loves nightly family dinners, juicy tomatoes plucked fresh from the vine and lazy days on the beach. She also adores reading and traveling.