If you made a New Year’s resolution to be healthier this year, now is a critical time … or so says the barrage of emails I have been receiving. Apparently, this is the time when people start abandoning those healthy vows and going back to their old ways.
I haven’t given up yet. Have you? I’ve been focusing on improving my diet and upping my exercise and it’s paying off. I’m down several pounds, my clothes are fitting better and I am feeling great. Exercise makes me feel so good.
What are your plans for the weekend? The kids and I have an active weekend planned. I can’t wait to get it started.
But first, here are 5 healthy things that you and your family can do this weekend …
- Learn more about the Ten in 10 Challenge. Check out my Tablespoon interview with Lori Lange, who created the Ten in 10 Challenge, a movement to focus on getting healthy in the first 10 weeks of 2010.
- Get your kids moving this winter! Don’t stress, just get prepared. For help, check out my recent SheKnows articles: 10 Outdoor Winter Activities for Kids and 3 Indoor Games to Get Kids Moving.
- Check out some new-to-you healthy cooking blogs. Recent discoveries for me? Family Fresh Cooking, Good (Cheap) Eats and Fab Frugal Food.
- Try something new and healthy! I did this week — Quinoa hit our table for the first (and second and third …) time. I’m also hearing good things about bulgar. That might be next.
- Sleep more. Yes, you read that right. Sleep is really, really good for you. Benefits include fewer colds, trimmer waistlines and a reduced risk of heart disease. Some big time editors are even trying a 2010 Sleep Challenge.
Sarah Walker Caron is a cookbook author, freelance writer and founder of Sarah’s Cucina Bella. She is the author of several cookbooks including The Super Easy 5-Ingredient Cookbook and One-Pot Pasta, both from Rockridge Press. A single mother to two kids in middle school, Sarah loves nightly family dinners, juicy tomatoes plucked fresh from the vine and lazy days on the beach. She also adores reading and traveling.