Cooking with Kids will not appear this week. But it will be back next Monday!
- 1/2 cup sweetened coconut
- 2 medium ripe bananas, , sliced into 1/4-inch coins
- 2 tbsp sugar
- 1/2 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 tbsp unsalted butter
- 4 packages Instant Quaker Oatmeal, , prepared (I recommend Regular)
- Meanwhile, heat a 10-inch skillet over medium heat. Add the coconut and cook, stirring constantly until golden. This will only take about 2 minutes. Transfer to a small bowl and set aside - wipe out the skillet and place back on the burner.
- Cut the banana slices in half (so they are half moons). In a small bowl, combine the banana slices, sugar and vanilla. Stir gently until well combined.
- Melt the butter in the skillet and add the banana and sugar mixture. Cook for 3-4 minutes, stirring occasionally until the bananas soften and turn a golden brown color. Mash the bananas gently as you cook them. Transfer to a bowl.
- Divide the oatmeal into four bowls. Serve with the banana and toasted coconut, allowing everyone to top and mix their own bowl.
Looking for the story that went with this post? Click here.
Sarah Walker Caron is a cookbook author, freelance writer and founder of Sarah’s Cucina Bella. She is the author of several cookbooks including The Super Easy 5-Ingredient Cookbook and One-Pot Pasta, both from Rockridge Press. A single mother to two kids in middle school, Sarah loves nightly family dinners, juicy tomatoes plucked fresh from the vine and lazy days on the beach. She also adores reading and traveling.