Today’s post was planned, started and scheduled in my planner. The photographs were taken and edited, just awaiting uploading. But then something happened. This morning, Paige pulled out a vintage Barbie cookbook I picked up at a book sale last year. She carried it around the house. And after reading a thick stack of Dr. Seuss books and doing two or three puzzles, she asked to make something out of the cookbook.
Before I could even say yes, she was skipping to the kitchen with the cookbook tucked under one arm and her stool dangling from the other. How could I deny her? So off to the kitchen we went to make something. I leafed through the book until I found a simple, but delicious sounding recipe for grilled cheese. Paige was all for it.
The sandwich was fabulous – sharp cheddar, salty bacon … that perfect combination of crunch and melted cheese. And yes, it came from a Barbie cookbook.
What’s your favorite cheese to have in a grilled cheese sandwich?
- 4 slices white bread
- salted butter
- 2 oz cheddar, thinly sliced
- 2 slices bacon, browned and crumbled
- Heat a large skillet over medium heat.
- Butter two of the slices of bread on one side. Set aside.
- On the remaining two slices of bread, split the cheese and bacon evenly. Then top with the buttered bread (butter side up).
- Once the skillet is hot, gently flip the sandwich and place it butter side down in the pan. Butter the slice of bread facing up. Then cook, flipping once and gently pressing down, until browned on both sides.
- Serve immediately.
adapted slightly from The Barbie Party Cookbook
Sarah Walker Caron is a cookbook author, freelance writer and founder of Sarah’s Cucina Bella. She is the author of four cookbooks including The Super Easy 5-Ingredient Cookbook and One-Pot Pasta, both from Rockridge Press. A single mother to a tween and a teen, Sarah loves nightly family dinners, juicy tomatoes plucked fresh from the vine and lazy days on the beach. She also adores reading and traveling.