Thanks to Crystal Light for sponsoring this post. To learn more about how Crystal Light can flavor your day with 30 refreshing flavors, visit http://www.facebook.com/crystallight.
Work. Kids. Life. It all adds up to a lot of stuff on my to-do list (and probably yours too!). And that can make it hard to find time to just take a breath and relax. But everyone needs that.
Finding time in my busy days for a little bit of me-time is crucial to my mood. That small gift to myself keeps me happy and smiling, even when the kids are exhausted and cranky.
Here are a few of my favorite things to do when I need a little time for myself:
- Reading – There is something fabulously indulgent about losing yourself in a book … whether it’s for a few minutes or for an hour. For me, cookbooks can be a fabulous, relaxing read. But so can a good lose-myself-in-it fiction book.
- Cooking – I cook everyday, several times a day. It’s part of my job, so a lot of my cooking involves tripods, notebooks, measuring gear and red pens. That isn’t relaxing, but the act of cooking itself can be. When I’m off the clock, I love to whip dishes up without measuring or weighing anything. That’s when the fun starts, when you can season it with a dash of this and a sprinkle of that and think only about the flavors.
- Quiet – Do you savor the silence? I do. Of course, I love hearing the giddy sounds of the kids playing, but sometimes it’s nice to hear absolutely nothing. It’s mentally cleansing to have that stillness, and then choosing what to fill it with.
- Exercise – Look, I know … I didn’t exercise much in the last month. But when I do, I lose myself in the music from my iPod. I love to walk on my treadmill especially, since I can also read at the same time. It’s a great sensation, since I can just tune everything else out and be there.
- Change of Scenery – Can work be relaxing? Yes. Especially if you love what you do. And I find that heading out to the coffee shop and working there can be both relaxing and productive. Works for me.
How do you take time for yourself?
Remember, visit http://www.facebook.com/crystallight to learn more about how Crystal Light can flavor your day with 30 refreshing flavors. I was selected and paid for this sponsorship by the Clever Girls Collective, which endorses Blog With Integrity, as I do.
Sarah Walker Caron is a cookbook author, freelance writer and founder of Sarah’s Cucina Bella. She is the author of several cookbooks including The Super Easy 5-Ingredient Cookbook and One-Pot Pasta, both from Rockridge Press. A single mother to two kids in middle school, Sarah loves nightly family dinners, juicy tomatoes plucked fresh from the vine and lazy days on the beach. She also adores reading and traveling.