Happy Memorial Day!
When I woke up this morning, I heard the rumble of thunder and the tap-tap-tap of pouring rain. A cool breeze blew in the windows, cooling down the house for the first time in days. Now, it’s sunny and warm … That’s one of the things I love about spring: the contrast of cool breezes and warm days.
What I also love — about both Memorial Day and spring — is that summer is coming soon.
Today’s Eat. Live. Be. topic is all about summertime. Specifically, our favorite things about summertime. What are you most looking forward to this summer?
For me, it’s the beach. Hands down, summer isn’t summer for me without toes dug into the sand, swimming in the cool Long Island Sound and lunches eaten precariously by the water (where I frantically try to keep sand out of my sandwich).
We love everything about the beach: Kayaking in the waves, riding my beach cruiser along the shoreline, laying in the sun (with sunscreen on, of course), running on the sandbar, searching for periwinkles and hermit crabs, creating sandcastles, flying kites on windy days, seeing how far we can walk out on the sandbars at low-tide, boogie boarding and even screech-worthy skim boarding. We’re all ready for a beach-filled summertime.
Looking for some tasty bites for your next beach adventure? Try these!
Perfect Beach Bites
- California Turkey Club Wrap
- Greek Chicken Salad Sandwiches (pack the salad separately from the pitas and assemble on the beach)
- Ham Veggie Wraps with Horseradish Cream on Sweetnicks
- Chilled Avocado Soup on In Good Taste (hint: drink it from cups!)
- Asian Lettuce Wraps on Kalyn’s Kitchen
Finally, a thank you to all the men and women who’ve given their lives for our country to be a free nation. It’s that freedom that lets us dream about fun-filled summer days and look forward to peaceful summer days at home.
Be sure to check out the other ELB bloggers for what they are looking forward to as well.
- Cate O’Malley from Sweetnicks
- Joanne from Eats Well with Others
- Chris Arpante – Melecotte
- Patsy – Family, Friends and Food
- Claire – Cooking is Medicine
- Rivki Locker – Healthy Eating for Ordinary People
- Sarah Rogers – Sarah’s Sweet Creations
- Kate – Paved with Good Intentions
Sarah Walker Caron is a cookbook author, freelance writer and founder of Sarah’s Cucina Bella. She is the author of four cookbooks including The Super Easy 5-Ingredient Cookbook and One-Pot Pasta, both from Rockridge Press. A single mother to a tween and a teen, Sarah loves nightly family dinners, juicy tomatoes plucked fresh from the vine and lazy days on the beach. She also adores reading and traveling.