My husband called me from the craft store last night, patiently describing every heart-shaped doily he could find and seeking out the construction paper display to find just the right hue. Valentine’s Day is coming and a certain little girl has decided she will be making her own Valentine’s this year. That’s 17 handmade Valentine’s from everyone counting at home.
While the idea of creating 17 Valentine’s makes me a little woozy, I am kind of excited. Because Paige is so excited. She can’t wait to cut and past and create special cards for all her friends.
Valentine’s Day is less than a week away (yay!). And with it comes, hearts and love and all that good stuff — stuff that means so much more to me now than ever. I can’t wait to celebrate with my family.
In the meantime, I am playing in the kitchen making plans for our Valentine’s Day dinner and treats. And these Double Chocolate Heart Sandwich Cookies? They are the perfect treat for Valentine’s Day.
Making them is simple — You bake up some rolled sugar cookies (I was recently asked by Betty Crocker to create a fun recipe for Valentine’s cookies for kids, so I used a pouch to make these). Then you assemble the cookies into sandwiches and decorate.
In the end, you have a chocolate-filled sandwich that’s covered in more chocolate and then finished with … lots of sprinkles. Lots and lots of sprinkles. Personally, I think the sprinkles are the best part. They are so pretty. Of course, the double dose of chocolate in these Double Chocolate Heart Sandwich Cookies is pretty awesome too.
Double Chocolate Heart Sandwich Cookies would make a fab afterschool surprise for kids. Whip up a batch, and then have them ready with chilled glasses of milk and a bowl of conversation heart — like a mini tea party. Without the tea (but you could have tea if you wanted, of course).
So … I’m looking for some good ideas … What do you have planned for Valentine’s Day?
- 1 pouch Betty Crocker Sugar Cookie Mix
- 1 tablespoon all-purpose flour
- ½ cup unsalted butter, softened
- 1 large egg
- ½-1 cup chocolate hazelnut spread or chocolate peanut butter spread
- 4 oz white chocolate
- Heart-shaped sprinkles
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees.
- In a large bowl, sift together the sugar cookie mix and flour. Add the butter and egg and beat with an electric mixer until a ball of dough forms. Turn out onto a floured cutting board and roll out to ¼-inch thickness. Use a heart shaped cookie cutter to cut the dough, transferring each cookie to a nonstick baking sheet. Leave about 1-inch between them.
- Bake for 5-7 minutes, until golden at the edges. Let cool for a few minutes on the baking sheet before transferring to a wire rack. Repeat until all the dough has been used.
- Once the cookies are mostly cooled (a little warm is okay), spread chocolate hazelnut spread or chocolate peanut butter spread onto half of them. Top each with a second cookie and press lightly. Place on a wire rack set over waxed paper.
- Break the chocolate into pieces and place into a microwave safe bowl. Microwave for 30 second intervals, stirring after each one, until smooth (1 minute – 1½ minutes). Drizzle the white chocolate over the cookie sandwiches. Immediately sprinkle heart-shaped sprinkles all over.
- Let the white chocolate harden before serving.
Disclaimer: This post is sponsored by Betty Crocker. For more great cookie ideas, check out Betty Crocker’s Cookie Headquarters. All opinions are my own.