Make the morning extra special with this recipe for Blueberry White Chocolate Buttermilk Pancakes. It makes light, fluffy pancakes the whole family will love.
And really, I mean that because these babies aren’t your average pancakes. Impossibly fluffy and packed with wild blueberries and white chocolate, they are heaven on a plate. I like to serve them with breakfast sausage, fruit and dark amber maple syrup. But serve them with your favorite breakfast foods — bacon, eggs, whatever.
Did I mention how good they are? Because they really, really are.
This recipe originally appeared on Sarah’s Cucina Bella six years ago, when a pancake-obsessed Will got me thinking about ways to make pancakes more exciting. I was bored, and wanted something … different. After much pancake making and eating, I realized that I prefer buttermilk pancakes — they are fluffier and lighter, just the way I like ’em. And adding sweet white chocolate and tart blueberries (be sure to choose wild blueberries!) makes these totally over the top.
What’s more is that this is a special recipe for us. It’s one that Will and I made together for years starting when he was just old enough to drag a chair to the counter. So for many ways, I think of these as Will’s pancakes. Everything about them reminds me of him. But don’t tell him that, because he might just try to eat the whole batch himself. Shh!
Making these is pretty simple. Start by preheating your griddle — or a nonstick frying pan — on a burner set to medium-high. While that’s heating, beat an egg until it’s pale yellow and frothy. Then add the rest of the batter ingredients and beat until combined. Fold in the blueberries and white chocolate chips, and then cook them up.
The secret to perfect pancakes? A preheated griddle and a little patience. Wait to flip until the edges of the pancakes begin to look solid — then they will flip gracefully.
When these hit the table in my house, they never fail to draw cheers. There are pancakes … and then there are pancakes so light, fluffy and delicious that they literally disappear when they hit the table. These Blueberry White Chocolate Buttermilk Pancakes are definitively the latter.
- 1 large egg
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 cup buttermilk
- 1 tbsp sugar
- 2 tbsp canola oil
- 1 tsp baking powder
- ½ tsp baking soda
- ¼ tsp kosher salt
- ½ cup wild blueberries (fresh or frozen)
- ½ cup white chocolate chips
- Preheat your griddle on the stove. It should be set at about halfway between medium and medium-low heat.
- Meanwhile, crack the egg into the bowl of your stand mixer fitted with the whisk attachment. Beat on medium speed until light yellow and frothy, about 2 minutes. Add flour, buttermilk, sugar, oil, baking powder, baking soda and salt to the mixer. Beat on low until just combined. Fold the blueberries and white chocolate chips into the batter.
- Drop the batter in rounds (I usually do about ¼ cup batter per pancake) onto the hot griddle and cook, flipping once, until golden brown on both sides.
- Serve immediately. Devour.