It goes without saying that I love me some dessert.
Pie? Yes! Cake? Absolutely! Cookies and brownies? Oh, yes, please!
But that love does absolutely nothing for my waistline. (Or anyone’s, for that matter.) Frankly, most desserts are filled with calories and fat. Not a good thing.
Good news though, there are lighter desserts you can indulge in now and again. Made with the right ingredients (think high nutrition, low-bad-stuff), it’s possible to make a tasty, satisfying dessert without ruining that great workout from earlier.
These Chocolate Cereal Bars fit that bill. They are as easy as can be, with just five ingredients (full disclosure: this recipe is a riff on the Crispy Rice Treats recipe on the marshmallow bag). Choose a cereal that works for you, preferably something unsweetened or lightly sweetened. For the ones pictured, I used Cheerios Multi-Grain. Delish!
Do you have a favorite light dessert? Share in the comments!
- 1/4 cup unsalted butter, (1 stick)
- 1 10-oz package of marshmallows
- pinch salt
- 1 9-oz package of lightly sweetened or unsweetened cereal
- 1/2 cup semisweet chocolate chips
- Spray a 9x13-inch glass pan with cooking oil, making sure to hit the sides and bottom of the pan.
- In a heavy pot, melt the butter over medium-low heat. Add the marshmallows and stir until they are completely melted. Add a pinch of salt and stir a little more. Add the cereal and stir to coat.
- Pour the cereal mixture into the prepared pan and press down (wet hands work best for this). Sprinkle with chocolate chips and press down again. Let cool and then cut into 20 squares (4 rows x 5 rows).
- These are best eaten the same day they are made.