My journey to being healthier this year has meant giving up certain things like most fast food (good riddance), soda (though I indulge once in a while) and cutting way down on my sweets-intake. But one thing that didn’t make the chopping block? Coffee.
I savor my morning coffee. It’s a daily ritual, often drank either in bed or standing at my kitchen island. And it kicks off the morning for me. Giving it up? Out of the question.
Eat. Live. Be. For a Better 2011 today is all about what you can’t live without on your healthy journey. Coffee? That’s definitely my thing.
My favorite morning coffee is a caramel latte (or any variation of caramel, cream and coffee). It makes me happy. Look, I know they aren’t the best thing for me, but I love ’em. Still, I can’t always run to my favorite coffee shop in the morning. Heck, the first six or eight weeks of this year made that near impossible with snow. So, one day I was dying for a latte and came up with a simple homemade version.
Oh, the deliciousness.
It’s super easy: hot, strong coffee, a little milk and sugar and top it off with whipped cream and caramel. It’s the perfect (easy, simple, no fuss required) homemade version for when you can’t get to the coffee shop.
What can’t you live without?
Be sure to check out the other ELB bloggers for their can’t live without things too.
- Cate O’Malley from Sweetnicks
- Joanne from Eats Well with Others
- Chris Arpante – Melecotte
- Jenna – Stop, Drop and Blog
- Casey – The Starnes Family
- Patsy – Family, Friends and Food
- Claire – Cooking is Medicine
- Jen – NJ Epicurean
- Rivki Locker – Healthy Eating for Ordinary People
- Jennifer Schulz – Lick-a-Plate
- Sarah Rogers – Sarah’s Sweet Creations
- Gwen – Simple Healthy Family
- 6 oz strong hot coffee
- 1 tbsp low-fat milk
- 1 tsp sugar
- whipped cream
- Pour the coffee into your favorite coffee cup -- the one that makes you smile in the morning. Stir in the milk and sugar. Top with copious amounts of whipped cream and a generous (in moderation) drizzle of caramel. Drink immediately.
Sarah Walker Caron is a cookbook author, freelance writer and founder of Sarah’s Cucina Bella. She is the author of four cookbooks including The Super Easy 5-Ingredient Cookbook and One-Pot Pasta, both from Rockridge Press. A single mother to a tween and a teen, Sarah loves nightly family dinners, juicy tomatoes plucked fresh from the vine and lazy days on the beach. She also adores reading and traveling.