When it comes to desserts, my sweet tooth knows no bounds. It’s something that Will inherited from me. That little guy loves cookies, cakes … anything sweet. Paige, on the other hand, is less sweet-addicted. Sometimes she wants dessert, other times she simply says “No, thank you.” Now, offer her some fresh mozzarella and she’s a happy girl. It’s kind of amazing, shocking and unbelievable all rolled up together — at least to this sweets lover.
This little, easy dessert? It’s a fabulous dreamy thing for this sweets lover. It starts with soft, lightly sweet madeleine cookies. They are bathed in a layer of caramel. Then, they’re sprinkled with freshly toasted coconut, which is a little nutty and has a nice crispness to it. Finally, milk chocolate is drizzled on top adding a glorious richness.
For the base – the madeleines – I used ones made by the company Donsuemor, which were a perfect introduction to this French confection. They’re available online or can be bought in stores like Fairway (Connecticut and New York).
The flavors are a riff on my favorite Girl Scout Cookie – Samoas. Oh, my kryptonite. I’ve been known to eat whole boxes without sharing. In a couple of sittings, of course. Not recently, of course. Honest. Really.
Anyway, once you’ve glazed, sprinkled and drizzled, you can either eat these babies hot or chill then until you are ready to eat. Either way, they are divine. And easy. Did I mention easy?
Oh, how cookies tempt me.
- 12 madeleine cookies, (recommended: Donsuemor)
- 1/2 cup sweetened coconut
- 1/2 cup caramel topping
- 1/2 cup chopped milk chocolate
- Set a wire cooling rack on top of paper towel (you can line a baking sheet with paper towel, if you're concerned about mess). Lay out the madeleine cookies on the cooling rack.
- Warm a skillet over medium heat on the stove. Add the coconut and toast, stirring occasionally, until golden brown. Remove from the burner and transfer the coconut to a bowl.
- Add the caramel to a microwave-safe bowl. Microwave for 20 seconds. Stir. It should be loose and warm, so it's easy to pour. If not, microwave for an additional 15 seconds.
- Drizzle the caramel over each of the madeleines. Continue until all of the caramel has been used. Immediately sprinkle with toasted coconut.
- Melt the milk chocolate in the top of a double broiler. Drizzle over the top of the cookies.
- Serve warm with forks or chill until ready to serve.
Disclosure: I was provided with cookies for the creation of this recipe. However, I wasn’t compensated monetarily for this and all opinions expressed are my own.
Sarah Walker Caron is a cookbook author, freelance writer and founder of Sarah’s Cucina Bella. She is the author of several cookbooks including The Super Easy 5-Ingredient Cookbook and One-Pot Pasta, both from Rockridge Press. A single mother to two kids in middle school, Sarah loves nightly family dinners, juicy tomatoes plucked fresh from the vine and lazy days on the beach. She also adores reading and traveling.