Love chocolate holiday treats? These Chocolate Peppermint Bark Cookies are rich and mint — perfect Christmas cookies for sharing.
I have two words for you: Christmas. Cookies.
(I am ridiculously thrilled to start Christmas cookie season. What? That’s not a season? Come on!)
The other night I was talking to Cate online and confessed that while I was excited for Thanksgiving, I was more really super excited for the day after Thanksgiving — and not because it was Black Friday. Why, you wonder? Because the day after Thanksgiving, I give myself permission to indulge in all things Christmas. And I really love the holiday season and get so excited for all the baking that ensues. Especially when the baking includes chocolate holiday treats like these cookies.
The funny thing is that on Friday, I didn’t really have time for anything Christmas-related. Still, the prospect of decorating for the holiday, putting up my trees and baking scores of Christmas cookies has me giddy with excitement.
I wasted no time in getting started on baking Christmas cookies. I was digging through my archives, looking for a tasty dessert to bring to the Second Annual Food Blogger’s Thanksgiving this weekend and came across my recipe for Chocolate Peppermint Bark Cookies — a recipe that’s been an annual tradition for the last five years. I had to make it — even if it was a Thanksgiving celebration I headed for.
A little back story: Five years ago, I had just given birth to Paige when Shawn asked me to whip up some Christmas gift baskets for several of his coworkers. I was already creating baskets for my cousins and some family friends and baking for Christmas dessert — so what’s a few more baskets, right?
Wanting to create a diverse mix of sweets, I whipped up a variety of biscotti, breads and cookies. But, being slightly obsessed with anything that combines chocolate and peppermint, I created a recipe that celebrated those flavors.
The result is these — Chocolate Peppermint Bark Cookies, which are my very favorite chocolate holiday treat. (Psst! You can read the original post on these here.) These are totally a cookie worth sharing.
So what’s so special? The rich, chocolatey cookie is spiked with peppermint and dotted with white chocolate, semi-sweet chocolate and crushed candy canes. It’s a heavenly holiday combination.
- 1 cup unsalted butter, at room temperature
- 1 1/2 cups granulated sugar
- 2 large eggs
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 tsp peppermint extract
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 2/3 cup cocoa powder
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup semi-sweet chocolate chips
- 1 cup white chocolate chips
- 5 peppermint candy canes, crushed
- Preheat your oven to 350 degrees and line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
- In the bowl of a stand mixer, cream together the butter, sugar, eggs, vanilla and peppermint extract on medium speed until well mixed (about two minutes). In a large bowl, sift together the flour, cocoa, baking soda and salt. With the stand mixer running on low, add the dry ingredients a little at a time until just incorporated. Stir in the semi-sweet chocolate chips, white chocolate chips and crushed candy canes
- Using a medium cookie scoop (or a tablespoon), drop cookie dough in balls onto the prepared baking sheet leaving about 2-inches between dough balls. Bake for 10-12 minutes until the cookies are cooked through. Let cool on the baking sheet for 2-3 minutes before transferring to a wire rack to cool.
The dough will seem pretty dry. Don’t worry! These bake up to fudgy perfection.