For the Buttermilk Banana Pancakes:
- 1 large egg
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1 cup buttermilk, I love Kate’s Fresh Real Buttermilk
- 1 large banana, mashed
- 2 tablespoons canola oil
For the banana split:
- 2 bananas, peeled, split in half and cut in thirds
- 6 tablespoons hot fudge, or more, to taste
- whipped cream
- 6 maraschino cherries
- Start by making the pancakes. Heat a nonstick skillet on just below medium heat. Whip the egg in a stand mixer until frothy, about 2 minutes. Add the flour, sugar, baking powder, salt, buttermilk, banana and oil. Beat until just combined.
- Melt a little butter all over the skillet and drop pancake batter in about 1/4 cup rounds. Cook, flipping once, until golden on both sides. Set cooked pancakes in a pancake warmer or on a baking sheet in a 225 degree oven. Continue until all the pancakes have been cooked.
- To assemble, stack two pancakes. Layer two pieces of banana on top. Drizzle with warmed hot fudge. Top with a dollop of whipped cream and a cherry each. Enjoy immediately.
Sarah Walker Caron is a cookbook author, freelance writer and founder of Sarah’s Cucina Bella. She is the author of several cookbooks including The Super Easy 5-Ingredient Cookbook and One-Pot Pasta, both from Rockridge Press. A single mother to two kids in middle school, Sarah loves nightly family dinners, juicy tomatoes plucked fresh from the vine and lazy days on the beach. She also adores reading and traveling.