This quick and easy recipe for Stacked Steak Asiago Sandwiches combines sharp Asiago cheese with crispy onion straws and thin slices of seasoned sandwich steak.
This sandwich idea came to me when I had a few sandwich steaks laying around and I wasn’t sure what to do with them besides cook them. After a little poking around I decided that using some Asiago, tomatoes and some yummy crunchy homemade fried onion straws could be the start of a beautiful sandwich. Top it off with barbecue sauce – my favorite – and it’s a winner for sure.
Normally, I would have grilled the sandwich steaks for that yummy flavor, but since it’s raining like the dickens here I had to make do with pan frying. They were great nonetheless.
- 1 recipe yield Crispy Onion Straws
- ¾ lb sandwich-cut steaks (thin sliced beef)
- Fresh ground pepper
- chili powder
- garlic powder
- 4 oz asiago cheese, sliced
- barbecue sauce
- 1 tomato, sliced
- 4 hamburger buns or hard rolls, toasted
- Spray a large skillet and heat over medium heat.
- Sprinkle pepper, salt, chili powder and garlic powder evenly over the steaks and rub well.
- Place the steaks in the pan in a single layer (you may need to do two or three batches) and brown each side. While the second side is browning, cover the top with the sliced asiago in a single layer. Cover and let cook 1-2 minutes until melted.
- When steaks are done, place one on the bottom half of the roll. Layer tomato, onions and then barbecue sauce. Place a second steak on top and again layer tomato, onions and barbecue sauce.
- Top with roll top and serve.