Zesty, crispy onion straws are a delicious alternative to fries or onion rings. Try these as an appetizer, or on burgers for a delicious crispy addition.
Try these in Stacked Steak Asiago Sandwiches.
- 2 medium onions, sliced thinly and separated into rings
- 3/4 cup all purpose flour
- 1 tsp chili powder
- 1 tsp paprika
- salt to taste
- vegetable oil.
- Place onions in a medium bowl and add flour chili powder and paprika. Stir until well combined.
- Heat oil in a high sided skillet over medium-low heat.
- Place a portion of the onions in the heated oil, being careful to shake off excess flour mixture. Cook in batches until golden. Remove from oil and place on a paper towel-covered plate.
- Salt to taste.
Sarah Walker Caron is a cookbook author, freelance writer and founder of Sarah’s Cucina Bella. She is the author of several cookbooks including The Super Easy 5-Ingredient Cookbook and One-Pot Pasta, both from Rockridge Press. A single mother to two kids in middle school, Sarah loves nightly family dinners, juicy tomatoes plucked fresh from the vine and lazy days on the beach. She also adores reading and traveling.