Zesty, crispy onion straws are a delicious alternative to fries or onion rings. Try these as an appetizer, or on burgers for a delicious crispy addition.
I’ve been making these onion straws for years. They were a favorite at a chain restaurant (which has since stopped making them — the sadness) when I was in my 20s.
So I decided to bring the deliciousness home.
And while Homemade Crispy Onion Straws might not be the fastest (or easiest to clean up) dish you make this season, they will add a lovely sweet and salty crunch to so many dishes.
These are delightful on salads, burgers, sandwiches, grain bowls and more.
Hint: Try these in Stacked Steak Asiago Sandwiches.
- 2 medium onions, sliced thinly and separated into rings
- 3/4 cup all purpose flour
- 1 tsp chili powder
- 1 tsp paprika
- salt to taste
- vegetable oil.
- Place onions in a medium bowl and add flour chili powder and paprika. Stir until well combined.
- Heat oil in a high sided skillet over medium-low heat.
- Place a portion of the onions in the heated oil, being careful to shake off excess flour mixture. Cook in batches until golden. Remove from oil and place on a paper towel-covered plate.
- Salt to taste.