Who says that cake can’t be breakfast? This recipe for Blueberry Oatmeal Cake is a crowd-pleasing breakfast recipe.
Cake? For breakfast? Sure, it sounds a little wacky but this breakfast cake is perfect for mornings. Just say yes, and whip up this easy Blueberry Oatmeal Cake. It’s a tender, moist cake dotted with juicy blueberries.
When blueberries are in season (July and August in many areas!), this is fantastic with fresh berries. For a slightly tarter take on things, try wild blueberries in it. And when blueberries aren’t in season, frozen ones work perfectly in this recipe too. So really, you can enjoy this breakfast cake all year round.
Better yet? This is a quick and easy recipe — you can have it on the table in about 30 minutes. Score!
And seriously, what kid won’t cheer when you announce that breakfast today is … cake! You’ll be the family hero. Or the coolest mom around. Or just an awesome kitchen wizard. Whatever making this makes you, just make it …
- 1⅓ cup flour
- ¾ cup quick cooking oats
- ½ cup sugar
- 2 tsp baking powder
- 1 cup milk
- 1 egg
- 1½ cup blueberries
- 2 tbsp sugar (granular or clear decorative)
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
- Sift flour, sugar, baking powder and salt in to a medium mixing bowl. Stir in oatmeal.
- In a separate bowl, combine milk and egg and whisk until well combined.
- Add the milk mixture to the dry mixture and stir until just combined -- don't worry if it's a little lumpy. Gently stir in the blueberries.
- Pour mixture into a 9-inch non-stick baking dish. Sprinkle the top with sugar.
- Bake 25-30 minutes. Remove from oven and turn onto a cooling rack. Cool for about 10 minutes before serving.