This quick and easy recipe for Stacked Steak Asiago Sandwiches combines sharp Asiago cheese with crispy onion straws and thin slices of seasoned sandwich steak.
When I had a few sandwich steaks laying around, I didn’t want to simply cook them. Instead, I wanted to transform them … to make something a little more special.
I mean sandwich steaks are good. But they can be great with a little creativity. Am I right or am I right?
After a little poking around cookbooks and the interwebs, I decided that using some Asiago cheese, tomatoes and some yummy crunchy homemade fried onion straws I could make a beautiful sandwich. Stacked Steak Asiago Sandwiches, to be exact.
Top the sandwich with barbecue sauce – my favorite – and it’s a winner for sure.
Normally, I would have grilled the sandwich steaks for that yummy flavor, but since it’s raining like the dickens here I had to make do with pan-frying. They were great nonetheless.
These sandwiches are excellent served with sweet potato fries.
- 3/4 lb sandwich-cut steaks, (thinly sliced beef)
- Fresh ground pepper
- chili powder
- garlic powder
- 4 oz asiago cheese, sliced
- 1 recipe yield Crispy Onion Straws
- 4 hamburger buns or hard rolls, toasted
- 1 tomato, sliced
- barbecue sauce
- Spray a large skillet and heat over medium heat.
- Sprinkle pepper, salt, chili powder and garlic powder evenly over the steaks and rub well.
- Place the steaks in the pan in a single layer (you may need to do two or three batches) and brown each side. While the second side is browning, cover the top with the sliced asiago in a single layer. Cover and let cook 1-2 minutes until melted.
- When steaks are done, place one on the bottom half of the roll. Layer tomato, onions and then barbecue sauce. Place a second steak on top and again layer tomato, onions and barbecue sauce.
- Top with roll top and serve.