This quick and easy recipe for Stacked Steak Asiago Sandwiches combines sharp Asiago cheese with crispy onion straws and thin slices of seasoned sandwich steak.
When I had a few sandwich steaks laying around, I didn’t want to simply cook them. Instead, I wanted to transform them … to make something a little more special.
After a little poking around cookbooks and the interwebs, I decided that using some Asiago cheese, tomatoes and some yummy crunchy homemade fried onion straws I could make a beautiful sandwich.
Top it off with barbecue sauce – my favorite – and it’s a winner for sure.
Normally, I would have grilled the sandwich steaks for that yummy flavor, but since it’s raining like the dickens here I had to make do with pan frying. They were great nonetheless.
Stacked Steak Asiago Sandwiches
- 1 recipe yield Crispy Onion Straws
- 3/4 lb sandwich-cut steaks (thin sliced beef)
- Fresh ground pepper
- chili powder
- garlic powder
- 4 oz asiago cheese , sliced
- barbecue sauce
- 1 to mato , sliced
- 4 hamburger buns or hard rolls , toasted
- Spray a large skillet and heat over medium heat.
- Sprinkle pepper, salt, chili powder and garlic powder evenly over the steaks and rub well.
- Place the steaks in the pan in a single layer (you may need to do two or three batches) and brown each side. While the second side is browning, cover the top with the sliced asiago in a single layer. Cover and let cook 1-2 minutes until melted.
- When steaks are done, place one on the bottom half of the roll. Layer tomato, onions and then barbecue sauce. Place a second steak on top and again layer tomato, onions and barbecue sauce.
- Top with roll top and serve.
Sarah Walker Caron is a cookbook author, freelance writer and founder of Sarah’s Cucina Bella. Her latest cookbook is The Super Easy 5-Ingredient Cookbook, published by Rockridge Press, which focuses on quick, easy, from-scratch cooking for busy people. A single mother to two kids in middle school, Sarah loves nightly family dinners, juicy tomatoes plucked fresh from the vine and lazy days on the beach. She also adores reading and traveling.