Who says that cake can’t be breakfast? This Blueberry Oatmeal Cake recipe makes a fun crowd-pleasing breakfast.
Cake? For breakfast? Sure, it sounds a little wacky but this breakfast cake is perfect for mornings. Just say yes, and whip up this easy Blueberry Oatmeal Cake. It’s a tender, moist cake — a mix between a baked oatmeal and cake, really — dotted with juicy blueberries.
Making it is simple.
Start by mixing the dry ingredients. Then add in the oats. Mix the wet ingredients and then add then to the dry ingredients. Mix again, until just combined. Then stir in the blueberries.
Then bake until this lovely cake is golden brown. Let it cool slightly — about 10 minutes — and then cut and serve.
I cut this into a 4×3 grid.
When blueberries are in season (July and August in many areas!), this is fantastic with fresh berries. Either high bush blueberries or wild blueberries will work. Your choice.
When blueberries aren’t in season, frozen ones work perfectly in this recipe too. So really, you can enjoy this breakfast cake all year round.
Better yet? This is a quick and easy recipe — you can have it on the table in about 30 minutes. Score!
And seriously, what kid won’t cheer when you announce that breakfast today is … cake?
You’ll be the family hero. Or the coolest mom around. Or just an awesome kitchen wizard.
Of course, this could also be the ultimate afternoon snack cake as well.
If you are serving it for breakfast though, pair it with some fresh fruit. It’s a perfect pairing.
Blueberry Oatmeal Cake
Somewhere between a baked oatmeal and a cake, this Blueberry Oatmeal Cake is loaded with blueberries and so delightful for breakfast.
- 1 1/3 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 2 tsp baking powder
- 3/4 cup oats (old fashioned or quick cook)
- 1 cup milk
- 1 large egg
- 1 1/2 cup blueberries (fresh or frozen)
- 1 tbsp sugar, granular or clear decorative
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees Fahrenheit. You'll need an 8x8-inch square glass baking dish for this.
- In a medium to large mixing bowl, add the flour, sugar and baking powder. Use a whisk to sift together. Add the oats to the bowl and stir to combine.
- In a small bowl, add the milk and egg. Whisk together until well combined.
- Pour the milk mixture into the bowl with the dry ingredients. Stir until just combined. The batter may be a little lumpy. That's okay. Add the blueberries and stir gently to combine.
- Pour the batter into the glass baking dish and tap gently to flatten. Sprinkle the sugar over the top of the batter.
- Slide the baking dish into the oven and bake for 25-30 minutes, or until the top is golden brown and a cake tester inserted in the center comes out cleanly. Remove from the oven and let cool for 10 minutes.
- Slice and serve. I like to cut this in a 4x3 grid.
Love this recipe?
Then you’ll want to check out my cookbook, The Super Easy 5-Ingredient Cookbook, published by Rockridge Press. It’s all about cooking well, easily and simply. It’s filled with easy, accessible recipes that the whole family will love. We’re talking one-pan, 30-minute and no-cook recipes for every meal of the day.
Saturday 2nd of January 2021
Really good and easy to make! A good offering for a Sunday brunch.
Tuesday 9th of February 2010
Blueberry Oatmeal Cake does look yummy for breakfast!!