I’ve been going crazy with zests and fresh citrus in my cooking lately. It’s just imparts such vibrant flavor. Whatever it is that you are making becomes more alive with the simple addition of little scrapes of peels.
Really, it’s hard to believe that I was so resistant to using zest until recently. And why? Honestly, I shied away from it because it just seemed like such a tedious thing to do … since I had never tried it. But as it turns out, zesting a lime or a lemon takes but seconds and pays off major taste dividends.
These muffins are heavy on the lime taste and lighter on the coconut, but the coconut still adds a nice richness to the flavor. Make these the night before and heat one up in the morning for a quick, fresh breakfast on the go — and don’t forget to split them in half and slather on the butter. Or eat them at room temperature with a steamy cup of coffee.
Lime and Coconut Muffins
- 2 cups all purpose flour
- 1 tbsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/2 cup sweetened coconut
- 2 large eggs
- 1 cup nonfat milk
- 2/3 granulated sugar
- 1/2 cup canola oil
- zest of 1 lime
- 1 tsp vanilla
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees. Line 12 muffin tins with paper liners.
- Combine flour, baking powder, salt and coconut in a large bowl, using a whisk to blend together.
- In a medium bowl, whisk together the eggs, milk, sugar, canola oil, lime zest and vanilla. Pour into the bowl with the flour mixture and stir until just combined.
- Divide the batter evenly between the 12 muffin cups.
- Cook in the preheated oven for 15-20 minutes until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean. Cool for at least 10 minutes before serving.
Sarah Walker Caron is a cookbook author, freelance writer and founder of Sarah’s Cucina Bella. She is the author of several cookbooks including The Super Easy 5-Ingredient Cookbook and One-Pot Pasta, both from Rockridge Press. A single mother to two kids in middle school, Sarah loves nightly family dinners, juicy tomatoes plucked fresh from the vine and lazy days on the beach. She also adores reading and traveling.