Creamy, sharp blue cheese and sweet caramelized shallots give this Blue Cheese and Caramelized Shallot Quiche Recipe major flavor.
Last night, after a rushed day, my husband and I did something together that doesn’t happen enough these days: we power-cleaned the house. In short order, my office was transformed from neglected storage space to usable thinking space. By the time we were done, the bathrooms were sparkling and the living room picked up. It was a great feeling to wake up to such a tidy house today.
And having a tidy house? Well, that makes me spontaneous. Seriously. I was driving to the store today when I had an inkling that today might be a good day to invite someone over for lunch. I did – or tried to – but it didn’t work out.
The quiche, on the other hand, was fantastic. The kids just ate it up.
I started with two big shallots. After chopping then into rings, I sauteed them in some olive oil, swishing them around with my favorite wooden spatula until they were all soft and caramelized.
It’s important to smash them a bit while they are cooking so that they break up a little. The caramelizing brought out their wonderful subtle sweetness.
When it came time to make the quiche, I layered the shallots with some crumbled Danish blue cheese. Danish blue cheese is creamy and blends well. Some blue cheeses, like Maytag blue, have a major bite, but Danish is a little more subtle. Although it’s sharp, it mellows a lot when melted into the egg mixture.
The result is this amazing flavor combination that is sweet, salty, savory and super … all at once.
After it baked up, the kids and I dug in and devoured it.
Mmm, and was it ever good. This would make a perfect lunch with a nice green salad (we skipped that today) and some toasty bread. And best of all? It’s ridiculously easy to make. Totally perfect for an impromptu lunch date.
Blue Cheese and Caramelized Shallot Quiche Recipe
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 2 large shallots, (sliced into 1/4 inch rounds)
- 5 large eggs
- 1 cup nonfat milk
- dash salt and pepper
- 1 frozen deep dish pie shell, (I like the Oronoque brand)
- 1 cup crumbled Danish blue cheese, (roughly 4 oz)
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees.
- Heat the olive oil in a small skillet over medium heat. Add the shallots and sprinkle lightly with salt and pepper. Cook, stirring frequently, until lightly browned. Remove from heat and set aside.
- Whisk together the egg, milk and a little salt and pepper in a small bowl.
- Place the frozen pie shell on a baking sheet (this will make it easier to transfer the quiche between oven and counter). Spread the shallots in the bottom of the shell, followed by the blue cheese. Pour the egg mixture in last.
- Cook the quiche in the preheated oven for 40-50 minutes, until a knife inserted in the center comes out clean.
Mushroom Quiche with Goat Cheese Recipe | Leite's Culinaria
Wednesday 3rd of April 2013
[...] Blue Cheese and Caramelized Onion Quiche from Sarah’s Cucina Bella [...]
Asparagus Quiche with Mushrooms and Shallots | Andrea Meyers
Monday 12th of April 2010
[...] Sarah’s Cucina Bella – Blue Cheese and Caramelized Shallot Quiche Share [...]
Thursday 22nd of October 2009
I would love a slice of that quiche today! I'll have to pick up some bleu cheese and try this recipe soon! YUM!
Thursday 22nd of October 2009
yummy yum yum. you are fantstic cook
Wednesday 21st of October 2009
I was available for the luncheon - looked terrific!!!!