Everyone seems to have a recipe for banana bread. It’s such a popular thing to make that I thought long and hard before even deciding to do my own. Seriously, there are thousands of variations. This recipe for Chocolate Chip Banana Nut Bread is one of my personal favorites.
We consume a lot of bananas in our house. My kids adore bananas in a must-have-daily sort of way. So banana bread? It’s a natural fit for us — as long as we remember to let a few overripen.
This Chocolate Chip Banana Nut Bread recipe has a subtle banana flavor that is enhanced with meaty walnuts and smooth, sweet chocolate chips.
Serve this for breakfast as a treat. It’s lovely for Saturday morning or as
This is also a perfect recipe for cooking with kids because there are so many opportunities for children to get involved in the process. From the peeling and mashing of the bananas to the measuring and mixing, there are so many prime opportunities for them to help make this bread. I love seeing the pride in my children’s eyes when they say that they helped to make something like this … it’s beautiful.
Will and Paige had a blast making this bread. And as soon as it slid in the oven, they dashed outside for more playtime. Thank goodness for spring … we’ve needed this reprieve.
- 1/2 cup unsalted butter, , softened to room temperature
- 1 cup packed light brown sugar
- 2 large eggs
- 2 tsp vanilla extract
- 3 ripe bananas, , mashed
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 tbsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp kosher salt
- 1/2 cup walnut pieces
- 1/2 cup semisweet chocolate chips
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees. Spray a 9 inch by 5 inch loaf pan with cooking oil spray. Set aside.
- Combine the butter and sugar in the bowl of a stand mixer fitted with the paddle attachment. Mix on medium speed until the mixture looks light and fluffy. Add one egg at a time, beating well each time. Add the vanilla and bananas to the mixture and mix well on medium speed.
- In a small bowl, sift together the flour, baking powder and salt. With the mixer running on its lowest speed, add the flour mixture to the bowl little by little, until just combined.
- Add the walnuts and chocolate chips to the batter and mix until just combined. Pour the batter into the prepared loaf pan and spread with a spatula to even it out.
- Slide the pan into the preheated oven and cook for about 1 hour. The bread is done when a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean. Let cool before slicing and serving.