When I wrote that I was making Caramel Corn today on the Sarah’s Cucina Bella Facebook Fan Page, I didn’t expect the huge response that I got. Really, I didn’t. New voices chimed in to inquire about the recipe and share their experiences and likes … it was absolutely awesome.
So, I scraped plans to write about something else and instead decided to just share this recipe today. It’s adapted from a recipe a found on Tablespoon (where, in full disclosure, I write for the TBSPblog). I made some small changes, such as removing the nuts from the recipe and adding a little more salt … and it was fantastic.
It was also … and I fear that I say this too much … so incredibly easy. It’s so easy, and so much better than the store-bought stuff, that I will never buy it again. Seriously. Totally worth it.
Are you a caramel corn fan?
Nut-Free Caramel Corn
- 6 cups popped popcorn
- 3/4 cup firmly packed brown sugar
- 1/2 cup unsalted butter
- 2 tablespoons water
- 2 tablespoons light corn syrup
- 1/4 teaspoon sea salt
- 1/4 teaspoon baking soda
- Heat oven to 250°F. Spread popcorn on an aluminum foil-lined 15x10x1-inch baking pan.
- In large saucepan, combine brown sugar, butter, water, corn syrup and salt; mix well. Bring to a boil over medium heat. Boil 2 minutes, stirring constantly.
- Remove saucepan from heat. Stir in baking soda until well mixed. Immediately pour mixture over popcorn; toss until coated.
- Bake at 250°F. for 15 minutes. Stir; bake an additional 15 minutes. Stir; bake 5 minutes. Immediately spread on foil or waxed paper. Cool 30 minutes before serving.
Friday 30th of April 2010
I love caramel corn, but haven't made it at home. Sounds like it would be hard to resist if I did though! .-= patsy´s last blog ..A Blueberry Muffin Fixation =-.
Thursday 29th of April 2010
I love caramel corn, but it is addicting:) I like to drizzle it with chocolate too! .-= Maria´s last blog ..2peas3-0 =-.