You never know when inspiration may strike. Today, it happened when I was checking up on a few blogs. Healthy Eating for Ordinary People had an amazing looking Whole Grain Fruit Crisp that reminded me of my Brown Butter Apple Crumble from this fall. Suddenly it was like a little bell went off in my head … how perfect would that be for dessert tonight? And so, this Apple Berry Crumble was born.
I worked from my apple crumble recipe to create this one, combining apples with frozen raspberries and blueberries. The result is a sweet-tart filling with a superb oatmeal crumble on top. The raspberries bake away into a syrup that engulfs the blueberries and apples. Delicious. Everyone loved it.
Perhaps the best part though was Paige helping to make it. She loves helping out in the kitchen and doing whatever she can, so when she saw me slicing apples for this, she was quick to pull up a stool and lend a hand. It reminds me of Will at this age.
So, what’s inspired you lately?
- 2 apples, cored, quartered and sliced
- 1 cup frozen blueberries
- 1 cup frozen raspberries
- 2 tbsp turbinado sugar
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- pinch salt
- 1/2 cup uncooked oats, not instant
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/4 cup light brown sugar
- 1/4 cup salted butter
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- In a medium bowl, combine the apples, sugar, cinnamon, cloves and salt. Toss until well-combined.
- Add the apples to a glass pie dish. Spread out into an even layer.
- In a small bowl, stir together the oats, flour and brown sugar. Set aside.
- Heat the butter in a small pan until melted. Remove from heat and stir into the oats mixture until well combined.
- Sprinkle the oats mixture over the apples.
- Slide the pie dish into the oven and cook for 45 minutes, until golden on top and bubbling at the sides. Remove from the oven and let cool slightly before serving.
Sarah Walker Caron is a cookbook author, freelance writer and founder of Sarah’s Cucina Bella. She is the author of four cookbooks including The Super Easy 5-Ingredient Cookbook and One-Pot Pasta, both from Rockridge Press. A single mother to a tween and a teen, Sarah loves nightly family dinners, juicy tomatoes plucked fresh from the vine and lazy days on the beach. She also adores reading and traveling.