When my kids returned to school last week, there was a moment where the silence of the house settled around me. Everything was so still.
The dogs were sleeping. The kids were gone. And the whole lack-of-noise was unsettling. For that moment at least. After a summer of being surrounded by noise and action, the peacefulness wasn’t so peaceful. Each day got a little easier. And now? Oh, the blessing of quiet.
Back to school isn’t just about the kids. Yes, they are the ones who actually have to head back to the classroom with bags stuffed with supplies. But for parents, there is an adjustment too. A homework-helping, study-buddying, early-rising adjustment.
So, if your kids are back to school, maybe you should reward yourself a little. Nothing too fancy, just maybe a special lunch in honor of a smooth transition. And I have the perfect option. Brie Toast with Truffled Tomato Bruschetta. It’s creamy, earthy, sweet joy in a mouthful.
Look, I am not one to make lunch too complicated even though I work at home. But this decadent open-face grown-up grilled cheese is pretty easy, even though it’s totally a treat.
Grab your favorite brie cheese (I leave the rind on!), some sweet local cherry or grape tomatoes, a little basil and some truffle oil. Oh, and don’t forget the crusty bread. Good bread is a must for this.
Stir together the bruschetta ingredients while the bread is toasting with the creamy brie cheese. Then top the toasty brie-covered bread with the bruschetta. I love this open-face sandwich because it’s so simple to make, but tastes really spectacular.
Why not treat yourself?
- 1 4- inch slice of crusty French bread, sliced open lengthwise
- 1 oz brie cheese, sliced
- 3/4 cup cherry or grape tomatoes, quartered
- 1/2 tsp truffle oil, I used white truffle oil
- 2 large leaves basil, torn
- salt and pepper, to taste
- Preheat the oven to 375 degrees. While it's heating, lay the brie slices on the bread and place on a baking sheet. Bake for 8-10 minutes, until the edges are golden. Use a knife to spread the melty brie around a bit.
- Meanwhile, stir together the tomatoes, truffle oil, basil, salt and pepper. Let sit while the bread cooks.
- Once the bread is ready, plate the two slices and top with all the tomatoes.