Oh goals, they are a funny thing. We set them, and go for them and then … well, if we don’t look back on them, how can we decide how well we are doing? Being the last day of 2012, it’s a perfect time to recap the year in goals.
At the beginning of 2012, I set 12 goals. Yes, 12. It was ambitious, for sure. And I knew that. Overall, I didn’t complete a lot of them, but I did make some efforts that were really positive.
Here’s how I did:
- Read 52 Books – In 2011, I read 40-45 books. This year, I set out to read 52 … but didn’t quite make it. As of right now, I have completed 46 books … sort of. I counted the six novellas of the Sweet Valley adult sequel (The Sweet Life) as one book. Also I am on Chapter 30 of my 47th book (it has 38 chapters). Regardless, I am very happy with my reading this year. I could, however, have done better in the fall months when I read very little — and that would have ensured that I made the 52 book goal.
- Weigh Less Than Today – Um. No. Definitely no. I tried a mindful eating plan in 2012 and it backfired big time. We’ll leave it at that.
- Hand-write (and Send) 1 Letter Each Month – I hand wrote several letters this year, posted a few but definitely not one per month.
- Get Ahead of Deadlines – I struggled with this a lot this year, but definitely got better at my time management and often being ahead of the deadlines. But I still need to work at it.
- Be Hyper Organized – Hahahahahahahaha.
- Pitch Every Month – Yes. I did a lot of pitching this year and worked on expanding my work. I am pretty pleased with how it worked out.
- Craft a Book Proposal – LI have two proposals in the works. However, both should be completed soon.
- Write Fiction at Least Once a Week – I can’t say that I worked on fiction weekly, but I did work on it — which is big in of itself because I hadn’t written any fiction in years. I have a solid start to a novel going, so I am pretty happy about that.
- Travel New England – Not at all. Sigh.
- Vacation – YES! We rolled a Florida vacation into a work trip for me. And it was a total blast. I would love to take the kids back in 2013.
- Purge – We did purge this year, but we also ended up with more stuff too — so while this is a yes, it feels more like a wash.
- Dress Intentionally Every Day – I did really well with this in the beginning of the year, moderately well in the rest of the year. But there were still a few too many just-tossed-on days.
In 2013, my goals will be a lot simpler — and fewer in number.
Sarah Walker Caron is a cookbook author, freelance writer and founder of Sarah’s Cucina Bella. She is the author of several cookbooks including The Super Easy 5-Ingredient Cookbook and One-Pot Pasta, both from Rockridge Press. A single mother to two kids in middle school, Sarah loves nightly family dinners, juicy tomatoes plucked fresh from the vine and lazy days on the beach. She also adores reading and traveling.