For those who love sweet and salty treats, these Chocolate Pretzel Peanut Butter Bars are a perfect Christmas cookie for sharing with friends and loved ones.
This recipe was created for my client Pillsbury, but all opinions are my own.
Holiday baking is in full swing in our house. I’ve been trying new recipes, getting ready to make and freeze dough for Christmas cookies and thinking of new ways to enjoy old favorites. This year I am super into cookie bars in lieu of traditional Christmas cookies. While I love cookies, bars always seem a little easier to me since you just make the dough and bake it all at once.
Plus, there is so much fun to be had with bars. They can be bathed in a layer of chocolate truffle or conceal a sweet layer of apple filling. Or they can mix up a whole bunch of favorite flavors — like in Chocolate Pretzel Peanut Butter Bars, which were a huge hit at a recent dinner party.
The layers of flavor are so perfectly complimentary — peanut butter and chocolate lovers will adore them. Seriously.
When it comes to holiday treats, I am a sucker for anything that tip-toes along that intersection of sweet and salty — especially if the sweet involves chocolate. Like these unforgettable, craveworthy cookie bars.
These sweet and salty Christmas cookies begin with a layer of peanut butter cookie. Pillsbury’s refrigerated peanut butter cookie dough is perfect for this. Then, it’s sprinkled with salty pretzel sticks and drizzled with a creamy mix of chocolates. Once the chocolate hardens (in the fridge!), these babies are perfect for slicing and enjoying.
What are you baking these days?
- 1 roll Pillsbury Peanut Butter Cookie Dough
- 1 cup pretzel sticks
- 1/4 cup heavy cream
- 4 oz milk chocolate, , chopped into small pieces
- 4 oz 60% cacao chocolate, , chopped into small pieces
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees F. Line a 9x13-inch baking dish with parchment paper, allowing it to extend up the sides.
- Press the cookie dough into the bottom of the parchment-lined 9x13-inch glass baking dish. Bake for 20-25 minutes, until lightly browned and cooked through. Sprinkle the pretzels on top.
- In a small microwave safe bowl, combine the heavy cream and chocolate. Microwave for 30 second intervals, stirring after each one, until smooth.
- Pour the chocolate mixture over the cookies and chill in the fridge until set. Lift the parchment paper out of the baking dish and set on a cutting board. Cut into squares and enjoy.
Disclosure: I was compensated for creating this recipe but all opinions are my own. For more great holiday baking ideas, check out the Serious Eats Pillsbury site.
Sarah Walker Caron is a cookbook author, freelance writer and founder of Sarah’s Cucina Bella. She is the author of four cookbooks including The Super Easy 5-Ingredient Cookbook and One-Pot Pasta, both from Rockridge Press. A single mother to a tween and a teen, Sarah loves nightly family dinners, juicy tomatoes plucked fresh from the vine and lazy days on the beach. She also adores reading and traveling.