Got 10 minutes? Whip up this delicious, waist-friendly salad for lunch. Tuna, Avocado and Feta Salad with Lemon is perfect for taking to the office.
This post was created for my client Bumble-Bee via Clever Girls Collective. All opinions are my own.
It’s easy to eat an unhealthy diet. We’re surrounded by grab-and-go options that are cheap and fast, which can be so alluring when you’ve missed lunch and are staring down deadlines, a packed afternoon of meetings or whatever it is that makes your day extra busy. When your stomach starts to grumble, but you really can’t just walk away from what you are doing, the idea of zipping up the street and through the drive-thru almost makes sense — because then you can just keep going after a few minutes interruption.
But if you want to live a healthier life in 2015, you know that the trip through the drive-thru is counter-productive. Sure, you could order the salad on the menu. But in your rush to get back, do you really? Or do you justify the burger and fries because they are easier to eat fast? Do you forget your healthy intentions and order soda and fries?
This is when planning ahead pays off big time. You can’t always predict which days will be crazy busy, but you can make a commitment to packing yourself healthy lunches so that you’re prepared — no matter what the day brings.
Tuna — like Bumble Bee® Tonno in Olive Oil — makes quick work of creating a delicious, nutritious composed salad for lunch. Tuna, Avocado and Feta Salad with Lemon is a mix of diced sweet red peppers, creamy avocado, briny feta cheese and meaty, tender tuna on a bed of baby spinach. It’s dressed simply — with just lemon juice and a bit of olive oil, salt and pepper.
Speaking of tuna, Bumble Bee® is available in both cans and pouches and is a simply way to add a variety of nutrients to your diet, including lean protein, healthy fat, and important vitamins and minerals. So there’s that too. Psst! They are also makers of little chicken salad kits that my son loves to pack in his lunchbox.
Of course, you can make this salad and eat it right away. But it gets better if you let it sit for a few hours, allowing the lemon juice and olive oil to mix and mingle with the other ingredients.
And best of all, it’s filling. When you eat this, you won’t be looking around for a snack fix not long after.
- 4 cups baby spinach
- 1 cup finely diced red pepper
- 1 avocado, , pitted, peeled and diced
- 1/4 cup crumbled feta cheese
- 1 can BUMBLE BEE® Prime Fillet® Solid Light Tuna - Tonno in Olive Oil
- 1/2 lemon, , cut into wedges
- olive oil, , to taste
- salt and pepper, , to taste
- Arrange 2 cups of baby spinach on each of two plates or in two containers (for taking for lunch). Arrange half of the red pepper on each in a row. Repeat this with the avocado, feta and tuna. Squeeze half the lemon onto each salad, taking care to drench the avocado. This will prevent it from browning if you aren't digging in right away. Drizzle with olive oil, to taste, and sprinkle with salt and pepper.
- Enjoy immediately, or cover and enjoy within 4-5 hours.
I was selected for this opportunity as a member of Clever Girls and the content and opinions expressed here are all my own.