Ready in about 35 minutes, this easy Creamy Tomato Shallot Chicken Skillet with Red Peppers and Peas is a flavorful dish perfect for serving with rice. Special thanks to Hood Cream for sponsoring this post.
Personally, I need a good 30-minute breather between work and dinner prep just so I can regroup to get going again.
I’ve thwarted that question, for several years now, with a weekly menu, though my kids have caught on that I don’t always follow it to a T. Paige has begun tracking the daily meal plans with a checkmark or an X — used to distinguish between the days I follow the menu and the ones I don’t.
The first time I noticed the marks on the white board, I was floored. It was just before election and all the days had X’s next to them — it’d been a busy week.
These days, strangely encouraged by her tracking, I’m sticking to the plan more often than not. And because I do, evenings are calmer and easier. All good things.
I’ve also discovered that less exacting descriptions helps bridge the gap between following the menu and needing some room for creative changes. So there’s that too.
This recipe for Creamy Tomato Shallot Chicken Skillet with Red Peppers and Peas is a recent favorite that I first made on a night when the menu read “chicken stir-fry and rice.” And while it is technically a chicken stir-fry served with rice, it’s also so much more.
Sauteed shallots and red peppers combine with seasoned chicken, tomatoes and peas. Then it’s finished off with heavy cream, transforming it into a creamy, dreamy dinner that’s both quick and easy and totally delicious.
This chicken skillet isn’t your usual stir-fry, but it’s so good in its own way. Perfect for making family dinners special — and getting an enthusiastic checkmark on that weekly menu. Serve it with rice.
Looking for more delicious recipes? Check out the Hood Cream eCookbook. The recently released second edition is now available for FREE download, and includes five fabulous new recipes — perfect for your holiday parties.
Creamy Tomato Shallot Chicken Skillet with Red Peppers and Peas
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1 lb boneless chicken breasts , cubed
- salt and pepper , to taste
- 1 tsp smoked Hungarian paprika
- 1 cup quartered and thinly sliced shallots (about 6-8)
- 1 red bell pepper , seeded and sliced thinly
- 1 14.5- oz can diced tomatoes
- 1/2 cup Hood Heavy Cream
- 1 cup frozen peas
- Heat the olive oil in a large nonstick skillet set over medium heat. Add the cubed chicken breast and season with 1 teaspoon salt, 1/2 tsp ground black pepper and the paprika. Stir well, and brown on all sides. Remove from the pan (the chicken likely won’t be cooked through yet).
- Add the shallots and red bell pepper to the pan. Season lightly with salt and stir well. Cover and cook for 10-12 minutes, stirring occasionally, until softened. Add the chicken (and any accumulated juices) back to the pan, and also add the tomatoes (with juices). Stir well.
- Reduce the heat to medium-low and simmer for 20 minutes
- Stir in the heavy cream and peas. Taste, and adjust seasonings as desired. Cover and cook for 5 more minutes.
Sarah Walker Caron is a cookbook author, freelance writer and founder of Sarah’s Cucina Bella. She is the author of several cookbooks including The Super Easy 5-Ingredient Cookbook and One-Pot Pasta, both from Rockridge Press. A single mother to two kids in middle school, Sarah loves nightly family dinners, juicy tomatoes plucked fresh from the vine and lazy days on the beach. She also adores reading and traveling.