This shop has been compensated by Collective Bias, Inc. and its advertiser. All opinions are mine alone. #HolidayTreatMaking #CollectiveBias
What treats are at the top of your baking list this holiday season? With just a few ingredients and quick steps, these Peppermint Bark Rice Krispies® Treats are a great festive spin on an easy to make classic.
For many families, an essential part of celebrating the holidays is the search for the perfect tree. As a young girl, this was one of my favorite parts of the holiday. My family and I would hold up tree after tree, shaking them out and look for the fullest tree at the just the right height for our home. It was a tradition I continued as I started raising my own family and I’d take my kids to a nearby tree farm every year.
Soon I began finding myself getting ill right around the end of December like clockwork year after year. Finally, my doctor told me about an uncommon allergy to mold spores that grow on most holiday trees. Not the present I hoped for that year. If we were going to continue with a fresh tree at Holiday time, we could only keep it in the house for about seven days – 10 at the most, though that was pushing it.
About five years ago, we switched to a fake tree to avoid the allergy dangers. It’s certainly not what I grew up with and I sorely miss the choosing and trimming of a real tree, but it means we can have a fully decorated tree at home for a month and enjoy it’s festive glow throughout the season.
And so this past Friday, we hauled our artificial tree out of the box, assembled it, spread out the fake branches, and hung our favorite ornaments transforming the living room into a winter wonderland.
Maybe that tradition has changed a bit for my family, but we still hang on to others that we love – like making tons of holiday treats to eat by our tree and share with friends and family.
Enter Peppermint Bark Rice Krispies Treats.
Just like trees are one of my favorite holiday traditions, Homemade Rice Krispies® squares are one of my very favorite treats.
Traditionally made with just three ingredients — Rice Krispies®, butter and marshmallows — they are quick and easy to make. With the addition of three key ingredients — dark chocolate, white chocolate, and crushed candy cane — they’re easily dressed up for the holiday season.
Recently, I picked up a Kellogg’s® Rice Krispies® Family Size box at Walmart, so I’m primed to make plenty of treats for the holidays this year. If you’ve ever made the classic version of these, you know they’re easy to make and fun to share with loved ones of all ages.
In less than 10 minutes, you can create the marshmallow mixture and stir it together with Rice Krispies® cereal. Next, top them with melted dark chocolate and white chocolate. Finish them off with a sprinkle of crushed candy cane.
Once they’ve cooled, cut and serve. Finally, enjoy along with your loved ones during the holiday.
- 3 tbsp unsalted butter
- 1 bag marshmallows
- 6 cups Kellogg’s® Rice Krispies® cereal
- 2 oz dark chocolate, , chopped
- 2 oz white chocolate, , chopped
- 1 candy cane, , crushed
- In a large microwave-safe mixing bowl, melt the butter (cook for 30 seconds, stir and then cook for an additional 30 seconds). Add the marshmallows and toss to coat. Microwave on high for 1 minute and 30 seconds, stirring once about half-way through.
- Remove from the microwave and stir until smooth. Add the Rice Krispies® and stir well to combine. Transfer the cereal mixture to an 9x13-inch glass pan. Press into a single layer.
- Place the dark chocolate in a microwave-safe dish. Microwave for 30 second intervals, stirring after each one, until smooth (don't over heat!). Spread the dark chocolate all over the Rice Krispies® treats, spreading out to cover.
- Place the white chocolate in a microwave-safe dish. Microwave for 30 second intervals, stirring after each one, until smooth (don't over heat!). Drizzle all over the Rice Krispies® treats. Sprinkle with crushed candy cane.
- Let cool completely before cutting. Enjoy!